Chapter 6: The Daring Dress

"I am not wearing that dress," I said, looking in the mirror at the black number Miranda brought over. "Both of my Grandfathers will be here today, Miranda. I look like an escort."

"Just because you have cleavage does not make you a whore," Miranda laughed. "Besides, you'll wear a jacket around your family. I just want you to look drop dead sexy for Brady."

"I am not dressing up for that asshole," I said. "I was planning on avoiding him, and then promptly forgetting he ever existed."

"Not allowed," Miranda said. "Part of why these guys keep walking all over you is you never respond when they do. You are going to stand up to him, and say these words. "Hey douchebag, you sold out our private moments to a stupid website. I hope it was worth it, because we're done." And after you've stood your ground, then you walk away."

"Ok," I said. "I can do that without the cleavage party."

"Yeah," Miranda said. "But he'll be drooling over how ridiculous beautiful you are, and you'll tell him off. Then this Brady will be left thinking, God I am an idiot. And you know what happens next?"

"What happens next?" I asked, still eyeing my boobs.

It really must have been miracle fabric to make my chest look so bouncy and full. Where did it come from, Narnia?

"Then you will win, Blake. You'll know that he lost the best thing that ever happened to him, which was your sexy ass. You and Bryan will go and save the world this summer, you'll go to New York, and fall in love with some sexy banker. And do you know what Brady Smith will be doing?"

"No," I said. "I mean he said he got into NYU, so I assume that he'll be there."

"I don't give a damn what he does!" Miranda barked. "But I guarantee you he'll never do as well as he did when he had a shot with you. He will rue the day he betrayed you."

"I just, I still can't believe how foolish I was," I said. "I practically dry-humped him by a tree. My dad saw those pictures Miranda; we haven't looked each other in the eyes since yesterday."

"Mr. Mcnarie will chill out," Miranda said. "He's totally cool with me, and I pretty much tried to seduce Bryan on school property."

"But it's different," I said. "Dad has always been so much more protective of me, closer to me. I know parents say they don't pick favorites, but I think Dad just wants to keep me safe a little more."

"It's because you're so much like your mother," Miranda said. "You look like her, talk like her, and honestly I think you two share a mind sometimes."

"You think so?" I asked.

I glanced in the mirror and turned my head sideways. I had her hair, her eyes, and her passion for clothes and colors. But I was missing something that crucial to her identity, something I couldn't fake if I tried. She had this brazen confidence and fearless outlook. Angela Mcnarie was braver than anyone I ever met, and could never be like her. But I sure was trying to fake it until I became her.

"Look," Miranda said. "I think you need to deal with this Brady thing and then move on. There will be a million jerks out there, but there are also nice guys too. Don't let him ruin you, not over a silly little kiss."

I nodded, but secretly, I knew it wasn't that simple. What I had with Ryan was a series of silly kisses. What happened with Brady had felt like the beginning of a real romance, only to find out it was just another headline. Either way, Miranda had a point. I wouldn't be destroyed by what was possibly the most exhilarating moment I'd ever had in a forest either.