Chapter 3: Problem Prom

I had been listening to my impromptu prom date, Jake the junior, talk for five minutes before he realized I wasn’t listening. As I pressed the skirt of my dress, I was reawakened by his sharp tone of voice.

“Blake, are you even listening to me?” Jake said, annoyed.

“Sorry, what were you saying?” I said. “I zoned out for a little bit there.”

“It’s alright,” Jake said, grinning at me.

Sure, he was handsome and nice, but I wasn’t entirely certain he gave a damn about me. He had over eagerly offered to meet my parents, especially my father, Joel Mcnarie. I understood Dad was amazing to the world, but it was annoying to be the third wheel amongst your dad and your date. Plus he kept asking about my family, like my sister. It was a tiny bit awkward.

“Did you want to dance, Blake?” Jake asked me.

I glanced at dance scene before me. Off to my right, Ryan Steiner had his face nuzzled into the neck of some girl with a tiny skirt and big bust. Wearing a mini skirt to prom was not only skanky, but it didn’t look right since a guy in a tux was all up in her exposed business. On the left side, Miranda and Bryan were practicing making me into an aunt with their clothes on while they danced in ways that’d give my mother a heart attack.

                “Sure,” I said, feeling bad. “Let’s go to the middle of the floor, ok?”

Jake just smiled and stood up, holding out a hand. I took it gladly, feeling slightly excited. I mean, sure, my ex-boyfriend was grinding and Jake was blind date, but we could still have fun. I only glanced back over at Ryan once, noting how familiar the girl looked. What was her name, and why was I so bad at remembering things like this? A slow song came on, and Jake put his arms around me tentatively. I smiled and tried to relax. He had killer blue eyes and to die for dimples, so why wasn’t I more into him? There was just no spark, not like what I saw between my parents and everyone else I knew who had fallen off the love deep end.

“This is a pretty song,” Jake said, smiling.

“Yeah,” I said. “I’m having a nice time. Sorry if I’ve seemed sort of sad, my ex-boyfriend is here and he is kind of an asshole.”

“I heard,” Jake said. “Miranda told me the whole story, well, she tried. She speaks super-fast and I just kind of nodded because some of it went right over my head.”

“My brother, her boyfriend, does that a lot. I can’t tell how many times I’ve had to translate her supersonic double speak for him.” I chuckled.

                “Ok,” Jake said. “So I am a pretty honest guy, ok.”

“Ok,” I said, noticing how nervous he looked suddenly. “That’s admirable.”

“Here’s the truth,” Jake said. “I have a class with your sister, Bethany, but I never knew her name. Everyone was just calling her “Mcnarie” all the time. It’s a gym class, the one where you lift weights…”

“Huh,” I said, sensing where this going. “So, when Miranda asked you if you wanted to go out with Blake Mcnarie, you just assumed I was actually my younger sister.”

“Yeah,” Jake said. “I mean, you are really pretty and nice and any guy would be lucky…”

“Jake, I totally get it. You already like her, and I’m not offended. So, let’s just agree to be friends just in case you end up dating my sister someday.”

“Ok, but you still look really pretty and I promise we’ll have fun tonight Blake.”

                “I think that sounds good,” I said. “Besides, I think this is my song.”