Chapter 34: The Fickle Heart

Months passed, and I could barely come up for air. I was constantly in meetings, doing interviews, selling my product. I was already working on my spring line, having the looks completed by the time October rolled around. It was a bit serendipitous that I had no time for a personal life, since most of it was in shambles. David and I were back to pretending to be friends, but he kept me at a distance. I hadn't realized he felt so deeply for me until I felt the sting of his cold shoulder. And Brady and I still talked. Each time I tried to distance myself from him, he'd bring up something to do with his rehabilitation and I'd give up. I felt guilty refusing him my friendship. Brady needed someone in his life to keep him grounded, to be his sounding board. I was his person, and as complicated as it was, I couldn't push him away. The more we talked, the more I knew that Brady was still that boy who found me in the woods. Nothing could change that, and since I'd already lost David, I saw no point in pushing him away.

Today, I had no time to worry about work or failed romances. It was Halloween, and a year after the night when I'd met David, I was invited to a party at Mcnarie INC. My, how life had changed in a year. I'd still be drinking root beer all night, but I was my own woman now. I pulled out my costume and grinned. I'd spent too much of my free time crafting this concoction, a one of a kind little red riding hood cape that screamed luxury. I had a little red dress to wear under it and I could just imagine the heads I'd be turning. I certainly loved Halloween, despite the memories. I pulled out my phone, seeing a message from Brady. He sent me a picture of him wearing the Prince Charming t-shirt from last year. I just laughed, thinking he could be cute sometimes.

It only took me an hour to get ready and drive over to the party. It looked the same as it did last year, only now I wouldn't be the nervous intern. This year I was a business woman the interns would die to network with. I wondered if the investors who wanted me to step down still felt like I was a liability would be there. And Maria, whatever had happened to her? I knew one thing, she was never going to get that promotion from my mother. I entered into the party, music blaring in the background. It wasn't Brady this year, but some other band. I shook my head, hoping the memories would fade. Several people waved as I walked in, but I was looking for one particular person. I knew David would be there, and I was hoping to see him. Only a small part of me hoped he would check me out in the dress, of course.

"Blake," a familiar voice called out.

The woman had a face I knew, but her name did not come to me. Some things never changed. Of course, her Elvira costume didn't make her any easier to recognize.

"It's Cara Davis," she said, extending a perfectly manicured hand. "I know, the makeup is different than my usual look."

I nodded, not sure what her usual look was. Business casual, I supposed.

"Hello," I said. "It's a lovely party."

"Well, it is good," Cara replied. "This years planning was much simpler. Maria always brought a certain degree of drama to event planning."

"Is Maria not here?" I asked.

"Oh, you don't know," Cara said. "Your mother fired her. That fake letter Maria leaked made our stocks drop fast, so we had to let people go. Your mother realized that firing her overpaid Vice President would make up for the financial loss."

"Well, you know what they say," I replied. "If you want to piss off a momma bear, you mess with her babies."

"This particular baby has done alright," Cara laughed. "Your collection is beautiful."

"Thank you," I said. "Have you seen the Darcy's here tonight?"

"Ah. I wish. That younger one, the son, he certainly is a handsome one, isn't he?"