Prologue

I shoved him back, watching him stumble a bit as my fist slammed into his annoyingly perfect chest. I didn't care that he looked angry or that we in the middle of the woods. He was the one thing standing in the way of what I wanted. I wasn't going to let him ruin my summer or my perfect night. He wouldn't let up or leave me alone, and it had officially started to piss me off.

"What the hell is your problem? I was perfectly fine in there, and you just barged in and ruined everything!"

"Chase is not who you think he is," Brady said. "Please, just listen to me."

"Fine, enlighten me," I screamed. "Tell me why you humiliated me in front of thirty people and ruined a perfect moment."

"Because, he doesn't really like you Blake. He just wants to sleep with you."

"I know that," I screamed. "I am a grown woman, you know. I just decided to give up on the fairytale bullshit, ok. He is smart, and nice, and good looking. And you ruined our date, and for what? Because you think I can't decide for myself. So what if he doesn't love me? I could wait for eternity, and I am never going to find that."

"You honestly believe that," Brady said, hair falling in front of his eyes.

The way his eyes sparkled just a tiny bit caught my attention. But I wasn't there to watch his eyes dazzle, I was there to raise some hell.

"I know it," I said. "No one gives a damn about me, the real me. Everyone wants something from me, to meet my dad or get some money. Most people just wants to be close to fame, like that means anything at all. And yes, Chase is just some guy who wants to say that he slept with Blake Mcnarie. But I accepted that, because that's all there is for me. People who pretend they care. For one night, I wanted to pretend too. I wanted to pretend he actually liked me and just have some fun."

"You're so stupid Blake," Brady whispered, walking closer.

He leaned in, as if he would kiss me. Instead, I slapped him in the face, hearing the smack echo in the air.

"How dare you call me names? Of all the people in the world, you don't get to say that to me."

"Blake, you're the one pushing away anyone who actually cares about you. There are guys out there who really like you, and not because of fame. Some of them will like you because you're sweet and smart, and when you get angry you are so feisty. Someday, a guy is going to love you for the way you chew on your pencil when you're deep in thought and the sound of your laugh when you're actually happy. Or maybe he'll just love you for the overwhelming presence you are, as a woman who is amazing. Not because of your family or your money, but because you're kind and compassionate, and you surprise them every day. Blake, you are without a doubt, exquisite. That's just who you are. "

My furrowed brow softened, amazed by his words. What was he saying?

"Brady..."

"Blake, I know it will happen for you. I've been in love with you for a while, even when you didn't know I existed and I didn't know who you were. So if I could love the real you, I know someone you'd actually like could love you too."

I almost said that I did like him, that I was secretly astounded that Brady loved me. I wanted to jump into his arms and kiss him, forgetting any of my fears. But I had fears, and I had rules now. I didn't let people in; I didn't let people get close to my heart when they could break it. So I just stared at him, and then turned around and ran away like my life depended on it. Because that was the classic Blake Mcnarie move, to run when she found something she really wanted.

~

(((Most of the backgrounds for the banners with quotes on them can be found at the external link. The banners tend feature my favorite chapters quotes. Thanks for reading, and odn't forget to comment/vote ))).