Chapter 13: The Breakfast Brawl

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of Miranda's not so feminine snores. She sounded like she was trying to wake the dead, but it was the sunlight creeping in that woke me up. I checked my phone, seeing that breakfast hall would be open soon.

"Miranda, wake up," I said. "I need food..."

"Just let me die here," Miranda cried. "I think I have a hangover from crying so much."

"Miranda! Didn't you hear me, there are pancakes out there. I will even let you make your peanut butter banana sandwiches and drink coffee with ten sugars."

"Did you say sugar?" Miranda said, opening an eye. "And peanut butter. Ok, I am awake now."

"Emali!" I called out. "Hey Emali, you sexy beast, wake up."

"I don't think she's here," Miranda said. "I didn't hear her come in last night, and I wasn't sleeping very hard."

"She probably hung out in one of the other cabins," I said. "She was out pretty late last night, and I'm sure she went to the party eventually."

"You know," Miranda said. "For a kids camp, you guys party like a fraternity on your days off."

"I thought that was weird too," I said. "But I kind of get it now. After three weeks of working with these kids, you're exhausted, emotionally drained, and happy all at the same time. But I think we just need to let loose, and relax. That is what prep week is really about. We could do everything else in a day or two."

"I see," Miranda said. "Well, let's go get breakfast. I need some coffee like yesterday. And since Bryan and I broke up, I'm not even going to shower. I'm wearing my pajamas to breakfast."

"That's the spirit," I said. "It's nice over here in the world of single ladies. So put your hands up!"

I started the Beyoncé song my mother always sang when she felt like singing, If you like it then you should have put a ring on it. Miranda threw a pillow at me and sat up, laughing.

"Hey," I said. "Don't be mad, but I want to check in on Bryan before we go. You can meet me down at the dining hall."

"No," Miranda said. "I want to see him, to figure out how to act around him. We both agreed that we wouldn't make it weird for you, that we'd have to figure out how to be around each other without being sad or fighting. I mean, your best friend and your brother will always be in each other's lives. Think of how awkward it will be at your wedding and baby showers if we can't have a decent conversation."

"Ok," I said. "Let's go get Bryan, and then pancakes."

We got up and put on some daytime clothes. Miranda had clearly embraced the look of a girl who'd gone through a breakup, her hair in a messy bun and a makeup free face. She still looked perfect, but I was a bit worried. I hadn't seen that girl without lip gloss since third grade, when she had to sneak the makeup into her lunchbox and put it on at school. I brushed my hair out, noticing how my blonde curls were surprisingly straight and flat. I pulled my hair into a braid on the side and put on some mascara before grabbing my sneakers and getting up to leave.

I was incredibly odd that morning, to see all of the counselors mixing in together. Boys were strolling out of the red cabins, and several of the blue cabins were empty. So much for Jo's strict no-fraternization policy. I guess I'd missed the first night of three days of hookup time, and I didn't feel sad in the slightest. Of all the ways I'd expected to lose my virginity, here at camp hope was not at the top of my list. Sure, I didn't actually believe what I'd told my dad about waiting until my wedding night. But I wanted something special and memorable, with a guy I was hopelessly in love with. In a cabin with beds older than my grandmother's haircut was not my idea of romance.