Chapter 2: The Popcorn catalyst

"I can't believe Ryan," Miranda fumed as we waited in line to get some popcorn. Her bubbly voice made me smirk. "Bryan and I are trying to come up with a plan to castrate him that doesn't involve prison time, thoughts?"

"I don't give a damn what Ryan does with his little friend," I said. "I have two days now to find someone to go to prom with. No one is dateless by now."

"You don't know that Blake. What about Jensen? You know, the drama guy who winks at you whenever you tailor his costumes."

"Yeah, that'd be fun," I said. "He's creepy, Miranda."

"But he's probably available, and easy on the eyes. You just need a date, right?"

"I don't know..." I said. I glanced around, wondering how long it would be for some photographer to peek his head out. Of course, I was wearing my sunglasses on indoors, which was incredibly normal in LA.

"Look, just think about it. If he's unacceptable, just ask a junior. Literally, just pick one with a six pack and he'll say yes. You're Blake-freaking-Mcnarie, you will not be alone on prom night."

I nodded, but she'd just confirmed my biggest insecurity. I wanted a guy who saw just Blake, the bookish girl who would rather draw and play music than go out to nightclubs and big events. I wanted to go with a guy who like just Blake, without the other adjectives.

"I'll get our popcorn," Miranda said. "Maybe you should grab us some seats, its busy tonight."

"Ok," I said. "Don't forget the cherry coke, ok?"

She nodded, knowing my cherry cola addiction was sort of my greatness weakness. I turned and looked at my ticket, heading down the corridor to our movie.

I was walking when a boy, a blonde guy about my age but towering above me, smacked right into me. Sure, I'd been watching out for cameras as I walked, but this guy clearly had been distracted. His phone and his popcorn flew up into the air, and I tumbled back from the blow of running into him. He caught me before I fell on my ass, and as our eyes met, a slight familiarity hit me. The blue eyed blond with glasses and towering height seemed to speak to me. Whoever he was, he wasn't exactly hard to look at.

"I am so sorry," I said. "Oh god, your popcorn..."

"It was my fault," He said, his deep voice his my ears. "I was trying to text and walk, and I could have knocked you down. I hope you are ok."

"I am fine," I said. "But hey, do I know you or something? I swear I've seen you before."

His eyebrows crinkled in annoyance and I sighed. Clearly, I should have known him by his reaction, but I didn't have the faintest idea. I was never good with names and faces. I would probably forget my own name if it wasn't plastered all over the headlines. Sure, I could memorized lengthy musical numbers and could tailor like a professional in my sleep, but that was where my talents ended. Everyday tasks were a stretch, such as remembering Mr. Blue Eyes in a pinch.

"We, we go to school together," the boy stammered. "I'm Brady Smith. We have music theory class together. We're the only two people in the class."

I swallowed hard. I really should remember the name and face of the only other piano player taking music theory during in second period.

"I am so sorry," I said. "Brady, right. I didn't recognize you without your sheet music in front of your face. You play so beautifully though, I've been impressed every time I stop to listen."

That part was true. I'd never bothered to even glance at the other pianist in the class with me, But I'd noticed his song, how wonderful it was. I wasn't too upset to see he was just as beautiful as his music. I'd never instantly crushed before, but I was probably drooling because his music had always seemed to call to me. Of course, the dimples and the eyes were not hurting anything in the attraction department.

"How have we never talked before?" I asked, smiling.

"Well," Brady said. "You are usually pretty focused when you're playing. It's endearing to see such passion. But we don't really run in the same circles. You're very popular, Blake Mcnarie."

"Oh," I said, frowning. "Not really, they all just love my parents and the name."

"Your parents?" Brady asked, quirking a brow. "That's odd. I just assumed they all loved you."

"You're not a Triumphant Thunder fan?" I asked.

"Oh," Brady said. "I just moved here this year. We're from Canada, and my parents don't really watch much TV. It's safe to say I've been under a rock, so I am sure your parents are famous..."

"Ok," I said, blushing.

He was sweet, cute, and he didn't like me for my fame. He didn't even know about the fame. I felt brave for a moment and just decided to take a risk. What's the worst thing that could happen?

"Hey," I said. "I know this is random and sort of odd. But by any chance do you want to go to prom with me? You seem cool, and we might have fun if you're free."

"Oh," Brady said, his eyes sort of twinkling. "Wow, I never ummm... I already have a date."

"Oh," I said. "Well that makes sense. Of course you have a date. Sorry to make things weird now."

A girl, one with perfect curls and curves that could kill approached us.

"Hey," said the brunette. "I'm Kolby. Nice to meet you."

"Hey," I said, blushing. "I didn't realize you had a girlfriend. It's nice to meet you though. I should go find my friend."

"But I'm not..." Kolby started to say, but I'd already turned around and walked away.

I'd left my pride behind me and there was popcorn in my hair. But somehow I still felt proud. Even if it had failed miserably, I was tremendously proud of my attempt to put myself out there. I may not have gotten for a date for prom, but I felt like I had done something different.

"Who's the hot geek?" Miranda asked as I approached her, pointing at Brady.

"Just another guy who has a girlfriend," I said.

"Come on Blake girl," Miranda said. "Let's go get our chick flick on. You'll feel so much better after we eat some popcorn."

I follow behind her, only glancing back at Brady for a moment. Our eyes caught, and I swallowed. He had a girlfriend, so why did I hope so much that he was looking at me the way I was looking at him? Miranda pulled me back before I could think too much about the question, and soon, thoughts of Brady faded away.

(((Author's Note: Thanks for reading so far! Please comment and vote as you see fit, I'd appreciate it.  

The banner to the side holds some potential casting for Blake and Miranda. = ) )))