Chapter 19: The Future Boss

I was holding a frozen steak up to my boyfriend's head as he groaned, a steak which I'd borrowed from my very friendly downstairs neighbor, an elderly Vietnamese woman. Brady was definitely developing a black eye, and I shot a glare at Aaron who sat very quietly in the corner.

"Why did he punch me again," Brady said, slightly off in his speech.

"He is my bodyguard," I said. "He overreacted a tiny bit."

"The guy was in your apartment with a look I've only seen serial killers wear," Aaron clarified.

"How many serial killers do you know, exactly?" Brady quipped.

Aaron rolled his eyes and it suddenly dawned on me that they disliked each other. I mean sure, the only thing they had in common was a mutual affection for me, but still. Aaron was practically the family bodyguard and my friend, and Brady was my boyfriend. Plus, Aaron planned on staying here all weekend.

"You two, play nice," I said. "I think Aaron, you should apologize. It was an accident, but Brady's still got messed up face here."

"Plus," Brady said. "I know you know me. Aren't you the guy who had the photos of us? The photos that almost broke us up."

"No," Aaron said. "I stole them and prevented your little forest romp from going viral."

"Uh huh," Brady said. "And then you happen to be here to save Blake from a crazy intruder. You keep coming to her rescue, don't you Aaron?"

"I get it man," Aaron said. "You got yourself a pretty girl, and you're nervous. I mean, she is a little out of your league to be frank. But I am here because Mr. Mcnarie asked me to come. I don't want to date your girl, I want to make sure she doesn't get kidnapped or something."

"I can deal with that," Brady said. "But don't punch me again."

Aaron grunted his approval and I laughed.

"Ah, you two are becoming buddies..." I said. They both glared at me. "You need to become friends. It's not optional."

"My black eye says maybe we should agree to friendly avoidance," Brady said. Aaron nodded.

"Fine," I said. "Then you need to become friends for your own sake because I have an intern meeting in about an hour and neither one of you know anyone else in the city. What else will you two do for that hour but speak and be nice to each other?"

"I suppose we could get some burgers," Aaron said. "You're not a vegan or something, are you?"

Brady pointed at the steak on his face and laughed.

"Ah," I said. "Aaron and Brady's first date."

The look on their faces was priceless and I busted up laughing. Sometimes I could be a little bit cruel.

"When do you move into your dorm, Brady?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Three days," Brady said. "I am in a hotel until then. Your mother gave me the keys to your place, by the way. I didn't know if you wondered how I got in."

"Oh, good." I said. "Why don't you just stay here? My stuff will be here later and I'll have a guest bedroom...which Aaron is habitating. Well, you could always stay in my room."

"Hell no," Aaron said surprisingly quickly. "Mr. Mcnarie would murder me. if I allowed his daughter to sleep with a man in the room beside me."

"I was just proposing sleeping," I said. "Maybe a little cuddling. We've been apart for eight weeks Aaron."

"What you do when I am gone is your own business," Aaron said. "But I am on your papa's payroll, and he's made it very clear to me he doesn't want to be grandfather yet."