chapter 18

Melody POV

“A mom who loves me” I told her honestly

She stared down at me with those big warm brown eyes that whenever I look into them made me feel vulnerable but safe.

However I was not expecting to hear what she said next.

“Sweetheart I can’t give you that”

I stared up at her, my entire world destroyed in six words. She doesn’t love me, she doesn’t even want me.

The idea of being my mom probably repulses her.

I was scared

I was panicking

But more than anything I was embarrassed, some small part of me still hoped that Demi would treat me like a daughter. But with the sentence she just said destroyed that last piece of faith I had. How could I let myself believe that Demi would like me?

I can’t believe I just told Demi my deepest wish and desire. Was it too much to ask to have a loving family?

I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t even think straight. I was so hurt but I should have seen it coming, nobody loves me.

I guess I just thought that Demi was different.

She was about to say something else but Millie interrupted us by starting to cry. Demi listened for any sign of Wilmer going to get her but it looks like he was leaving Demi to do mommy duty.

“Sweetie don’t move, I’ll be right back” she sighed before standing up and leaving me alone.

Now I was alone I had two options. Do I grab a bag and run away or go grab my spare blade?

No doubt I’d be caught if I tried to run away now, Demi or Wilmer would probably hear me so that will have to wait. After weighing up my options I quickly made my way into my bathroom, I rummage around until my fingers find my best friend. I don’t even bother closing the door, it doesn’t matter if Demi catches me. She doesn’t care anyway.

1

2

3

4

5

The number of fresh cuts on my arms just continues to rise. Now I’m well and truly numb there’s no physical pain at all but the emotional pain is still there, forcing me to cut deeper and deeper.

Oh and there’s that familiar dizziness, welcome back my friend. My vision starts to blur but I’m determined not to pass out or faint.