Chapter 11

Demi POV.

I knew for a fact melody was lying to me when she said her cuts and bruises were the result of kids at school beating her up. I could tell they were done by her mom and stepdad but she needs to admit it otherwise I have no proof.

After I calmed her down I told her to get dressed so we could head home and talk there.

We'd already picked out a load of clothes for her.

Unlike on the way here she was silent. I turned to asking her yes and no questions so that she could just nod or shake her head to reply.

On the way back to the car Millie decided to throw up the bottle of milk she had just drank, confirming that she still wasn't feeling very well. Before placing her in her car seat I stripped her from her clothes and threw them in her baby bag, leaving her in just a pull-up. It was hot and she could do with cooling down anyway, it's not like it would make her any sicker.

Melody POV.

I don't know what I'm going to tell Demi when we get back to her house. I can't possibly tell her the truth but I hate lying to her. I mean who lies to Demi Lovato,,,, exactly,, nobody.

I feel bad for ignoring her as well but I don't want to break down again, who knows what I'll end up telling her.

Arriving back at Demi's, both of us stared in confusion at the sight of a police car and another black car that didn't belong to her or Wilmer.

"Demi what's going on?"

I finally spoke to her, I hated to admit it but I was scared and I needed to hear her reassuring voice.

"I don't know sweetheart but let's go find out."

She pulled up on the drive and walked round to get a sick and sleepy Millie out of her car seat.

She managed to grab a few shopping bags while I picked up the rest. As we walked up to the front door my heart began to beat faster and faster. Wilmer must have seen us coming as before Demi could open the door, Wilmer was stood there to greet us. He helped me and Demi with bags and Demi started to walk upstairs towards Millie's bedroom. Not wanting to be alone with Wilmer and these strange people I quickly ran to follow Demi.

"I'm just gonna put Millie down for a nap sweetie then we'll go and see what's going on ok" she told me

Demi sat down at the cute old fashioned rocking chair in the corner of the pink room and held Millie in her arms and across her lap so she could nurse her to sleep. I didn't want to invade her and Millie's privacy, so when Demi began to unbutton her shirt I made my way out of the room and towards mine.

I literally sat on the edge of my bed and twiddled my thumbs to try and distract myself and give my hands something to do.

It wasn't working.

My hands and wrists began to itch with the temptation to cut.

I tried taking deep breaths but that didn't work either.

The voices were too loud.

I quickly ran to my backpack which hadn't moved from where I threw it the day before. I rummaged inside until I felt my fingers curl around the small, sharp, shiny object.

I gripped it tightly in my hand and moved to lock myself in the bathroom.

Pulling up my sleeves I placed it directly on my skin, debating with myself whether to make the cut vertical and just end it all. Surely that would be easier.

Me being the chicken that I am began to slice away horizontally, signing with relief at the instant release. When I finished I just simply stared at the red piece of artwork I had just created.

My heart sank when Demi's voice reached me.

"Melody. Sweetheart are you in here?"

I scrambled up off the floor and wiped away the mess I'd made on my wrist. I hid the blade in a bathroom cupboard and yanked my sleeves back down.

My shaking hand reached towards the lock and slowly un clicked it. I walked out the bathroom to be met with a concerned looking Demi who was perched on the end of my bed.

"Are you ok?" She sweetly asked

"Y-yeah"

Great. Stutter why don't you

"Come on then. Let's go down"

"Demi I can't"

I froze on the spot.

"Melody, I'm not leaving your side, come on we'll do this together"

She stood up and took hold of my hand. Reluctantly I let her lead me downstairs. We went into the living room where Wilmer was sat on one sofa, a police man and woman on the other and by the looks of things a social worker on an armchair. Demi guided me to sit between her and Wilmer.

It was kind of awkward, I don't think anyone knew what to say.

"Melody" Wilmer started, finally breaking the silence.

"This is Miriam, she's a social worker and this is PC Jones and Davis. They want to ask you a few questions" he explained.

I turned slightly so I could look up at Demi. I gave her a pleading look not to make me do this. She squeezed my and and moved her other arm around my back, pulling my into her.

"It's ok, Wilmer and I are here. Just be honest" she whispered softly in my ear

I turned back to face the three strangers in front of me.

"What do you want to know?"

Miriam the social worker came closer and crouched down in front of me. To be fair to her she seemed really friendly. She had a smile like Demi's and she was only young.

"Melody, you need to know that everyone in this room is on your side. Firstly, we need to know what happened yesterday before you met Miss Lovato and Mr Valderrama" her voice was soft and comforting, it made me want to trust her but I couldn't tell them everything.

I looked up at Demi once more for reassurance and once she gave me warm smile I began to tell them all what happened. I obviously left out the part where Mark molested me again.

I didn't even get emotional telling them what had happened. My voice was flat, showing no emotion of any kind.

"Are you positive that's all that happened?" Miriam asked

I nodded.

"What was home life like before?" She queried

"They didn't really pay me much attention to me but it wasn't bad" I lied

Miriam and the police officers exchanged serious glances.

"I'm sorry but after hearing that there doesn't really seem any real reason why you can't be returned to your real family" Miriam said seriously.

"NO" Demi suddenly shouted

"I'm sorry Miss Lovato but there doesn't seem to be any grounds for adoption" she explained

"They clearly don't care about her if they kicked her out. She's eleven" Demi tried to reason. I felt her grip on me tighten.

"There's not much we can do, other than speak to her parents. But she will have to be returned to them unless there are clear signs of child abuse which melody doesn't describe."

Demi now moves off the sofa to crouch in front of me, where Miriam was a while a go. She takes both my hands in hers and looks me in the eyes.

"Melody. I know you're scared and I also know you're hiding something. If you want to stay here with us you're going to have to be honest"

"D-Demi I c-can't" I cried

Do I tell them?

A/n

Another short update written as I'm sunbathing around the pool.

Should melody tell them what really happened?

Should she show Demi the extent of her injuries?

Should she reveal the mysterious letter?