Chapter 12

Demi POV

I locked eyes with the trembling girl in front of me. I used my thumb to wipe away her tears but they were quickly replaced with more. I caressed her cheek softly before taking hold of both her hands.

"Sweetheart I know you're scared but you have to be brave and tell the truth."

I shot a glance at Miriam and the police officers and I knew that if she didn't speak soon they were going to take her away with them.

She opened her mouth as if to say something but suddenly closed it again.

"Melody, those marks I saw on you earlier weren't done by school bullies were they?" I calmly asked her.

She continued to cry but eventually shook her head. Glances and mutters were exchanged around the room at her silent confession.

"Who hurt you melody?" Miriam asked again

"H-help me D-Demi. I can't b-breath" she stuttered out.

Straight away I stood up and lifted her in my arms. I placed her across my lap like I do to nurse Millie and wrapped my arms tightly around her frail little body. I held her head against my chest so she could listen to my regular breathing pattern. I looked up at Wilmer who was sat there looking helpless.

"Melody calm down sweetheart, it's all ok, you're safe now."

"I've got you baby"

I continued to soothe her while everyone else in the room awkwardly watched. After ten minutes her breathing was back to normal and she glanced up to look at me.

"Just talk to me melody. Pretend everyone else isn't here, it's just me and you"

She took a breath before finally speaking.

"Some were made by bullies. The others were my parents"

I sighed a little with relief at her admitting it. Now she should be able to stay with me and Wilmer. She rolled over and curled into my chest while she began to cry again.

"Shhhh it's ok. Well done melody"

Again we all waited for her to calm down until Miriam asked her a question that made both Wilmer and myself hold our breath.

"Did anyone touch you inappropriately in your home?"

Melody rapidly shook her head saying no but personally I wasn't convinced.

"Ok well I'm afraid we are going to have to take some pictures of your marks and bruises for police evidence" PC Jones said seriously.

"No please" melody cried.

"Do we really have to put her through that?" I asked

"I'm sorry but we need the evidence."

"Demi no. Please don't make me" she cried into me

"I'm sorry sweetheart but I don't have a say in this. I'll stay with you."

I was about to say something else but was interrupted by Miriam

"Would it be possible for just me and Miss Lovato to be there? I can do the examination and take the pictures."

"I think that would be ok" PC Davies answered.

We were all distracted then by the sounds of my two year olds cries. Brilliant that's just what we need.

"I'll go to her babe" Wilmer said as he stood up. He kissed both me and melody on the head before going to sort Millie out.