Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Melody POV

You're wondering how my day at school yesterday went aren't you?

Well it was crap!

But to be optimistic about things it's wasn't one of the worst days I've had. I mean, they only touched up on my black eye that was just about fading after the last blow it took but whatever. So now it nice and purple and shiny again.

You would think the teachers would see it and ask me what happened and if I was ok but let's be serious, like that's going to happen. They glance at me then look away and pretend they haven't seen anything.

I wish it was because they didn't care but in reality it was the fact that the bullies even had control over the staff as well. Pathetic I know, a bunch of young teenagers having power over adults.

I've been daydreaming in class again, I know this because the teacher is calling my name right this second. I don't think I even have the energy to acknowledge her but I'll only get into trouble again if I don't so here it goes.

"MELODY"

"Yes miss" I answer sweetly, like butter wouldn't melt.

"You've not been paying attention" she says matter of factly

"Yes I have"

"Oh really, can you answer this question for me then please?" She says as she points to the writing on the board.

Great, if she verbally asked me the question I might stand a chance at answering it but seeing as I have to attempt to read the black squiggly lines that are supposed to look like words I have no hope.

"No miss" I blankly reply

She sighs and turns back round to the board to continue teaching.

"Even if she was listening she wouldn't know the answer" a girl whispered, well more like shouted

The class erupted into laughter.

That wasn't even funny what she said, it was true, but not funny. I swear the students in this class are just a bunch of performing monkeys who do whatever the few main bullies tell them to do.

If Marie, the main bitch says jump, they all scream how high!?

I ignore every single one of them and look down at my desk, it's suddenly become the most interesting thing in the room.

I play around with the bracelets on my wrist. They are like my armour protecting me from the daemons beneath. My theory is if I can't see my scars and cuts I won't think about them as much. To my own disappointment, that theory doesn't work.

The sound of the lunch bell makes me jump slightly, I throw my book in my bag and attempt to make a quick exit only to be stopped by Miss Rowlands calling me back.

To be fair to her, she's not the worst teacher in this place. My guess is she's about 25, and while I'm giving out compliments she is rather pretty, her hair is brown to blonde ombré and falls in neat curls down her back. She dresses really well too, not like some old strict librarian like most teachers.

"You wanted me miss?" I asked when all the other kids had left the room

"Yes, melody please sit down"

I took a seat at a desk along the front row. Miss Rowlands pulled a chair up to the desk so that she was sat facing me.

"Melody, are you ok?"

For some reason this question took me by surprise. I can't remember ever being asked that. Maybe she was different to other teachers.

"I'm fine" I state.

Yeah I know you're probably screaming at me telling me to break down and cry to her and tell her every single one of my problems so that she can help me but I'm not going to do that for two reasons.

1) there's not enough time in the world for me to tell her all my problems

2) I trust nobody. Well except maybe one person but it's a secret.

Well this person is the only one who ever manages to put some sort of smile on my face. I think if I ever met her in real life I'd break down. I think she'd be the only person who I could cry to and ask for help. But let's be serious, it's never going to happen. I'm never going to meet Demi Lovato am I.

The universe hates me, I'm not that lucky.

"Melody?!"

"Hmmm what?"

"You zoned out a little. Are you sure there's nothing you want to talk to me about. Don't think I don't notice the bruises you have, sweetheart you're covered in them. Plus your school work isn't nearly at the standard it should be at your age. Are you struggling melody?" She rested her hand on mine but I flinched and pulled away.

"I told you I'm fine. Can I please go have my break now?"

She sighed in defeat before replying.

"Sure, remember that I'm here if you need anything sweetie"

She gave me a warm smile before letting me out to lunch. Part of me wants to believe that she's there for me but I just can't

It's lunchtime and instead of walking into the canteen like everybody else in this godforsaken school I make a left and head outside.

Yeah I'm not eating, there's not a chance in hell I'm filling myself with unnecessary calories.

I walk until I reach my usual spot on the grass, under a huge oak tree. I throw my bag to the floor and take out my phone.

I don't have a phone because my mum cares about me or wants to treat me. I have a phone so that she can text me jobs to do when I get home from school.

I usually receive the text at lunchtime. It's the time she actually wakes up and pulls her ass out of bed.

She's never there when I get home, she's always out getting drunk in some bar or club. Her boyfriend is usually with her, however there are times when he stays home. These are the times that make me really wish I was dead.

When he's home, I cry.

He hurts me; physically, mentally, emotionally and sexually. Take your pick, it happens.

I look down at my phone to distract myself from those thoughts, those are the ones that haunt me the most.

Ok, so here's today's to-do list:

1)

2)

3)

4)

You're now wondering why they are blank. They are blank because I can't read them. It's just a load of jumbled up squiggly lines. My mum knows I can't read. I think she sends me texts just to spite me.

I don't need to know what it says anyway, It's the bloody same everyday. I clearly know the routine by now. Do all the dishes, do all the washing, make her bed, hoover the house. Yes mum, I know!

And look, there goes the bell. At least I have art, that doesn't require any reading so I don't mind this lesson. Part of me wishes it would never end, then I wouldn't have to go home.

A/n

Please let me know what you think of it so far. I've been really scared to start a new story.