Episode 50: Stranger

Episode 50: S t r a n g e r

Back in the day, it would get really rough and hard to live. Sometimes I used to wish that I'd be able to have wings. So that one day I could fly up in the sky away from everything and everyone down below. I wanted those wings to escape reality. Escape my life. It was a symbol of my freedom.

And yet, even though I got one step closer to understanding who I really am, there was a ton of things left to learn. I wasn't even a step closer to sprouting my wings and flying off on my own.

But I did have legs. I've always had those. And nothing ever stopped me from running away to my favorite spot on earth. The only place I could truly forget everything at.

Han river.

I sat on the bench overlooking the sparkling water as I inhaled a large breath of fresh air.

The words stung. They hurt as a damn knife gorged into my heart.

I knew I wasn't a part of anyone's family. I wasn't trying to be either. But how could V say something so hurtful to me, and despite all we've been through, without batting an eyelash. I was hurt and I wasn't going to deny it. But I was rethinking it.

I was rethinking what last night even meant. Was it really just some lame one night stand I had? Was that what happened afterward? Do we just forget about it and go? Forget the part about sex. What about the chat we had? What about the feelings he told me.

Was it all a lie?

But every time I close my eyes I  see his face so clearly. That look he gave me, talking about how he really felt. Something he never does. So that couldn't be it. He couldn't have been lying.

What was it then? What was he...afraid. He was afraid.

But still, why did it always have to be like that. Why did it have to hurt me so much? The way he forced me to hate him. It wasn't fair.

"Stupid." I kicked a small rock under my foot and watched it as it rolled down the slope of the hill.

I stood up from the bench, but just as I did, I got a better view of something that seemed unordinary. Something abnormal. Out of the blue.

A small boy was crying, clutching his knee in pain as he sat on the ground beside his bicycle. My brows furrowed, however, at the man standing beside him. I could only see his back from where I stood, but I could already tell that he was tall and wore quite a fancy suit for an evening stroll at Han River. Was it this kid's father? But why wasn't he helping him?

Immediately, my eyes widened as I watched the man's hand cracked and his nails sprouted out into black talons.

"Hey, kid!" Without thinking, I dashed down the slope, skidding at the bottom end with a strong grip and crossed the street over to the boy's direction. As soon as I set foot on the sidewalk, the man's head turned towards me. My blood grew cold. Our eyes locked on to each other. Except that his eyes weren't normal. They were completely black. A demon.

"It hurts!" The kid cried out, hugging his bloody knee in his arms.

"Don't worry, just don't move right now," I whispered, holding out my hand to him. "Stay right where you are." I gulped down, keeping my eyes fixed on the demon.

"Who are you?" The kid looked up at me, sniffling and wiping his nose. The demon quickly snapped his neck to the kid and cocked it with curiosity. What the hell was he doing?

"I'm going to help you okay? What happened to you?"

"I was riding my bike around the river but all of a sudden I bumped into something and I just toppled over. I don't know what it was..." The kid looked around at the flat and maintained sidewalk.