Chapter 26

Asher

The pain in my chest does not compare to the overwhelming anger engulfing me. The bright sun radiates on me and I can feel the heat being absorbed in my black suit.

The feeling is strange at the thought of someone you know to just leave and never come back. How in a moment their mere life could cease from existence. But some moments are inevitable, however, others could've been stopped. Could have been prevented. Could have been seen coming. I stare down. Clench my jaw. And watch. How strange. To be buried 6 feet under, trapped on this earth for another eternity and more. And yet, I guess that is how some prefer it.

The feeling of grief cascades across the room as my mind wanders always back to her. The one who brought out the light in me where all I could ever see was darkness. She gave me hope in a world full of cruelness. The one who drove me mad but at the same time brought me to my knees. But consequentially, and the most ironic, she is the cause of my pain.

******
(The night Laylie left)

"Laylie!?" I rummage through the room, the closet, and in the bathroom. My heart races and at this point I'm fucking gone. The money I left is gone.

The pistol is gone.

She's gone.

"Fuck!"

Sebastian runs in the room, "what?! What's going on!?"

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! How can I be so blind and stupid?!" I throw one of the vases against the wall in anger. I can't seem to catch my breath as rage cascades over me.

"Asher! What the fuck is going on?!" Sebastian says as he's about to touch my shoulder.

"Don't fucking touch me!" I exhale, "okay, go grab Elijah and everyone now! Call to get the jet ready we're heading-" before I can even finish, Jason one of my guard men run in.

"Boss, there's been an attack outside the east wing. Elijah's been injured"

I run my hands down my face, "Sebastian, go get the jet ready we are heading to St. Marys's Island in India," he then runs out of the room. "Jason, I need you to grab all the security and sweep the whole area.

"Yes, sir" I am then left in the room alone. As I am about to walk out, a shimmer catches my attention in the corner of the room. The bracelet. Fuck.

I was hoping she'd still be wearing it. Now I guess we have to go straight to him ourselves.

I turn and head to my closet and pack some stuff as quickly as possible. My head is still spinning with anger and frustration.

I was supposed to protect her. To keep her safe. I promised her that. And yet I couldn't fulfill it.

I clench my jaw at the thought of some fucker hurting her.

"Sebastian! Let's go!"

"I know! I'm just grabbing a few supplies," he walks in with a bag of weapons.

"Did you call?"

"Do you have to ask? I know if I didn't within the second you'd have my head on-"

"Shut up, let's go"
*****
The plane takes off and every second that passes is every second wasted not finding Laylie. I stare out the window and see the grey clouds of the night surround the jet.

"You're okay now," he sighs "there is no need to cry anymore, kid." the hot tears stream down my cheeks and my eyes begin to feel puffy from me crying for the longest time. Mommy's gone. Daddy's gone. It is just me. More tears roll down as I begin to sob.