Chapter 4

Laylie

"LAYLIE! LAYLIE! Where the hell are you, you stupid bitch!" I hear my mother screaming like a complete psychopath.

At this point, I ran to my bedroom and placed my small table in front of the door. What the hell is that going to do?  I quickly pull on a pair of old grey sweatpants and a black oversized t-shirt and then I slip on my shoes. My heart is thumping through my chest and my breathing is ragged. I can hear her stumbling probably drunk out of her mind as usual. When she is like this it gets really bad. My hair is still damp and my eyes are wide as I hear her bang on my door.

"You fucking whore come on out here! Mommy just wants to talk." I start to feel sick. I really can't take another beating tonight. I truly don't think I can survive, I'll probably get internal bleeding or something like that. I look around my room frantically. 

"LAYLIE!"

I do the most irrational thing and without thinking I open my tiny window and jump outside. I land on my side and the impact would not have seemed as bad if my ribs were not already bruised. It feels as if the air has been knocked straight from my lungs. I crawl away and quickly get up. By now the rain has cooled down and it is just drizzling. But oh my gosh it is freezing, my heavy breathing proves my point once I notice the small puffs of smoke coming from my mouth due to the coldness. I look back into the window and see her barge into the bedroom.

"why the fuck are you out there you freak! I swear once I get my hands on you, you will be begging for your damn death!" her words scare me and send a shiver up my spine. I then quickly turn on my heel and run.

I don't know exactly how long I have been running but it seems like for hours. All the while tears run down my cheeks and I am now soaked head to toe by the rain. So much for my shower.

I then slow down and just start walking. If I stay outside any longer I think I may just get hypothermia. I can feel my inner self-shiver, my breathing is deep and ragged. I wrap my arms around my self-trying to get some warmth but fail miserably. I look up and see I ran all the way to our town plaza full of shops and cafes. I keep walking until I spot the diner Eat and Love. I can see the open sign still on and spot in the window the scrumptious pastries and desserts they have just baked. I lightly jog to the door and open it. Once I enter the bell rings and I am immediately greeted with horrified stares.

Maybe this was a bad idea.

I keep my arms wrapped around myself with my head down and begin walking to the corners booth. My once light brown hair is now soaked to a dark brown color and I can feel my sweater dragging me down.

I lean back and let out a large breath of air pushing my hair back. Soon I begin to hear the whispers of people and no doubt it's about me.

Great. I didn't even bother grabbing my phone so now I'm stuck. I probably could have called Nace and she would have run to my rescue. As usual.

Placing my elbows on the table, I bury my face in my hands. What the hell am I supposed to do now? It's not like I can just go back home now unless I want to receive my death on a silver platter.

My head is pounding and I think I may just be getting colder sitting in these wet clothes.

I glance up and see that most of the people are back to their regular conversations. They all are laughing and seem to have no worry in the world. They have no idea what I had just threw and probably never will.

'Shirley Temple' throws her head back in a fit of laughter and I can't help but envy this stranger. What I'd do to switch lives with her.

"Is there something I could get you, sweetheart?"