Chapter 7

Laylie

"Come on Papa!! Or it's gonna get us! Run faster hurry!" My short legs run and I feel free and alive. My pretty pink cotton dress flows in the air and my hair is probably a mess by now. Mama is gonna be so mad. I run as fast as I can through the bush maze in our backyard. It's late spring and the weather is perfect. I giggle loudly as I see the faces of our gardeners questioning my father and I's action.

"I'm running as fast as I can Laylie! I think they are gonna get me. Go on without me!" Papa yells as he is slowing down. I whip my head and notice him falling far behind. Come on old man, letting a 6-year-old outrun you ha. I keep running fast and then turn my head and see Papa stop completely talking to a big tall man dressed in a scary black suit. Suddenly I trip and fall face first into a pit of dirt. Yuckkkkk. I cry out because my knee is now scraped.

"Papaaaa!!" Tears start rolling down my eyes and I see daddy running to my side.

"Oh gosh! Laylie my sweetheart. It's okay it's okay. You're okay. Papa has you." He soothes me as I start to calm down from my hysterical crying.

Papa has picked me up into his arms. The big tall scary looking dude has swiftly walked over to us and I feel very intimidated by his stern green eyes. Not once does he flash a smile.

"Silvia! Please bring Laylie inside to wash up. I have a meeting to attend to." Papa says as Ms. Silvia comes rushing over to us with her aged smile plastered on her small face.

"Of course Mr. Volevoy! Come one dear" she takes me in her arms and soon Papa begins walking away with the man.

Little did I know. The next day he would disappear from my world.

Slowly gaining consciousness, my eyes began to lightly flutter open. I'm sprawled on my back and feel my surroundings. The bed feels like a cloud and the sheets are warm and soft. Am I dead? Is this the heaven people raved about?

Gaining my sight back I soon realize that I am in an unknown room. Scanning the room the walls are a beige color. The room is large and the bed is a king sized accompanied with fluffy black comforters. I soon notice an I.V sticking from my arm attached to a clear bag hanging. What? Where am I? This for sure does not seem like a hospital?

Groaning, I now start to feel how dry my throat is from the lack of consumption of liquids.

Turning to my left I see on the dark wooden night table a glass of water. I grab it and chug the thing in a couple of sips.

Memories begin to flood back to me and now I see how I got here. Stupid Derrick. He got what he deserved. A shiver runs down my spine as I remember what he attempted to do. Wait. Where's Asher? Wait. Wait a second. Am I in new clothing? What?

The thought of Asher possibly changing my clothing and seeing me nearly naked makes me blush. Gosh, how embarrassing. I am now dressed in a black v-neck and grey sweats. My clothes were probably still soaked.

Suddenly the door starts to slowly open and slightly creek. Wearing a grey hoodie and black jeans, Asher walks into the room having his stare kept on me. His eyes are a shade of light green today with specs of hazel. His hair looks as if he had showered and is pushed back. The appearance is more different from the others he had worn before but still makes him look attractive nevertheless. I quickly look away hoping he doesn't think I am gawking at him even though I was.

Wait. Back to the more important topic. Where am I?

I look up at him again, and soon he is sitting on a leather stool beside my bed waiting.