XXVII

18 years later

Someone's crying

Someone's crying. Someone else is screaming. Another child lets out a few curse words.

"Hey, shit heads! No swearing!" I yell through the window, turning my head away from the cake.

Violet snorts from the table. "I'm not sure that's how you're supposed to handle that."

"Oh, don't worry. She's been doing that since Malachi was born." Lilian chuckles as she enters the kitchen.

Slapping Lilian upside the head, I pick up the cake and move it outside. Just after I place the dessert on the picnic table, a soccer ball flies past me and slams into the side of the house.

"Sorry!" A chorus of people shout out.

Klaus picks up the ball, tossing it to Kit before pressing a loving kiss to my forehead. "Ooh, cake. Sunny! Your cake looks delicious!"

Grabbing a nearby paper plate, I whack my husband in the arm. "I spent two hours on this you dick wad." Chuckling, Klaus jumps away from my attacks.

Once finished setting the utensils down, I call the group to eat. A herd of people push and shove to their chairs. Luckily, no one gets hurt as we all try to fill our plates.

As I chew my dinner, I smile at my surroundings. Bryony snickers at something Jeanne says. Theseus signs to Maite what Harriet and Ailis gossip about, and Florence tries to follow his movements. Grant whispers something into Deidra's ear. Corinne, Malachi, and Chasity discuss new things to invent.

So many things going on at once. There's never a pause in this busy life, but I love it. It was just me growing up. I never had any siblings and my cousin was kind of horrible. But now, it's perfect. I have the family I always imagined I would. The house is never quiet. We're always doing something or going somewhere.

So much has changed. I've been a preschool teacher for the last 16 years, along with raising seven hooligans. Klaus spends his time researching and then writing articles about his findings. Not long after our wedding, three familiar faces knocked on our door. The Quagmire triplets. Duncan and Violet were happy to reconnect, which eventually lead to a second wedding. Things happened pretty quickly, but everyone was thrilled the two were getting hitched.

Besides raising four kids of her own, Violet opened up her own shop. Where she spends her time designing new objects and improving older ones.

Lilian shuffles between working as a nurse as well as making sure her two daughters don't burn their house down.

Sunny, as just announced, will soon be attending one of the finest culinary schools in the country. Beatrice is all over the place. With a degree in archaeology, she travels to different schools around the country, educating students on the importance of historical artifacts.

| |

Before I know it, the sun disappears and day turns into night. Klaus and I wave goodbye to our family as they head towards their own homes. It's been a long day, and I'm glad knowing I won't have to clean the kitchen tomorrow because it's Klaus' turn.

After signing a story to Maite and bidding the kids goodnight, I press a kiss to their foreheads before making my way to my own bedroom. Klaus is already under the covers, book in hand.

Turning off the lamp, I lean over and place a quick kiss on my husbands lips. Klaus smiles and reaches to brush a strand of hair behind my ear. "How'd I get so lucky?"

"I'm not sure. I mean, I am quite the stunner. It's surprising you were the one to catch my eye." Klaus rolls his eyes. "Okay, okay. I guess you were pretty good looking, too." I smile cheekily, lifting his free hand to my lips. "I love you."

"Yeah, yeah. I love you, too."