IV

Beware, this chapter is crazy.

It'd be better if you were there than here

It's silent. The only sound being the quiet gasp that escapes my lips.

He doesn't want me here. After everything we've been through. After all the things we shared. The laughs. The tears. The kisses. All of it. And he doesn't want me here. All because I didn't want to go to jail. Because I wanted there to be a chance I'd get to see him again.

Taking a deep breathe, I give him one last glance before turning away.

The rest of the day is uneventful. Before bed, we all sit around the fire, listening to Carmelita tell fairytales. Except that she's the main character in all of them.

When she's finished with her story of Cinderella, the masked boy tries convincing Klaus and Violet to tell a story, but they don't budge.

Since no one wants to hear anymore of my cousins stories, we all head to bed. Earlier in the day, Lilian and I moved our sleeping bags to a more secluded area, which I'm grateful for. After today's events, I want nothing to do with anyone besides her.

| |

The fire dying out is what wakes me up, the coldness making it difficult to sleep. You'd think I'd be used to sleeping in the cold after attending Prufrock Preparatory, but apparently not.

Lilian sleeps quietly besides me, hair covering her face. Moving her head off my arm, I climb out of the bag. Reaching the entrance of the cave, I pause. Standing near the ledge are Klaus, Violet, and the masked boy. Only, he doesn't have the mask on, and he looks like someone I know. "Duncan?" I don't realize I've spoken until the three turn to me. All wearing a shocked expression.

"No, I'm Quigley." The boy smiles kindly.

Of course, because people pronounced dead never seem to actually die. "Ellis, you shouldn't be here."

Violet. She doesn't want me here either.

Shaking my head, I go back into the cave without another word. If they don't want me near them, fine. I've already apologized. I'm not going to again. I'm done.

| |

"Come on, you'll love it." Lilian drags me outside where the rest of the group is, marching to the top of the mountain. "I was False Spring Queen once, until your retched cousin joined and stole my title."

I throw her a confused glance. "I thought False Spring Queen was a democratically elected position."

"It was, until that brat became old enough to join." She spits. "Ruined everything for me."