XX

"Count Olaf is kidnapping Justice Strauss!"

"Take off your blindfolds! This entire trial is a lie!"

Half of the room believes us, the other doesn't. But still, not a single person removes their blindfold.

Cursing the crowd, I chase after Olaf. The elevator doors begin to close, but Klaus pushes them apart before they can.

We all glare angrily at the man.

The elevator stops at the laundry room. Olaf wants the sugar bowl. Then he wants the Medusoid Mycelium to poison everybody. Then he plans on escaping.

"You can't retrieve the sugar bowl without the code." Violet reminds the villain.

There are three clues to opening the lock. The medical condition the Baudelaires share. They're allergic to peppermints. The weapon the killer Olaf's father. Poison dart. The famous question in the novel written by Richard Wright.

I don't know the answer to the final question. Klaus hurriedly typed it in before I can catch a glimpse.

Olaf all but sprints to the laundry cart, digging through the sheets in search for the sugar bowl. But it isn't here. Because the vent doesn't lead to the laundry room.

The only person who truly knows where it is, is Dewey.

Olaf grows furious. He picks up bottles of chemicals and dumps them over the sheets. Revealing a lighter from his pocket, Olaf flicks it, and tosses the small flame into the cart.

It lights immediately. Justice Strauss gasps.

"Is now a bad time to mention I'm asthmatic?"

Lilian gapes at me. "Now? You mention this now? When the hotel is in the process of burning down?"

Olaf shoves us all back into the elevator. Quickly, the Baudelaires press every button. Hopefully people will believe us when we warn them about the fire. But unfortunately, not many guests do.

The elevator soon reaches the roof, where the Medusoid Mycelium is. But Olaf doesn't use it. Instead, he chooses to save it for some other day.

The fire burns at a steady place, the building already growing weak.

Violet pulls one of the tarps down, attaching it to the oarlocks on the small boat. All the while, Justice Strauss tries to prevent us from doing this.

After sitting down behind Klaus and Violet, I turn to help Lilian. But she shakes her head. "There's still time to escape. If we hurry now, we can leave. We can go home."

Home. I love Lilian and Richard. I love living with them. But they're not my home. The Baudelaires are. I can't leave them again. "I'm sorry, Lili." Her shoulders drop. Standing up, I pull her into my arms. "I'll come back. Whenever I get the chance, I'll return. I promise. But I need to stay with them."

She backs away, shooting me one last smile before rushing away.

For the first time in a long time, I pray. I pray she makes it out safely. I pray she returns to Richard. I pray I'll see them again.

Olaf begins pushing the boat down the pool. We near the edge, and I grip onto the Klaus' shoulders.

The boat dives towards the ground. The chute working right before we hit the ground. The wind carries us to the ocean, and we begin our journey. Where we're going, I'm not sure.

Super short I know. But next chapter will be longer.