XXVI

Rain

Rain. Mother used to get mad when I snuck out of the house to play in the mud. I was always happiest when it rained. Which makes this day even better.

Violet pulls my hair in a braid while Lilian smooths out my dress. Sunny and Beatrice sit on the couch in the corner, giggling at Richard while he stuffs grapes into his mouth.

"Dad! You're teaching Sunny and Bea bad manners." Lilian scolds her dad, waddling over to smack him upside the head. Richard moves to retaliate, but remembering his daughters very pregnant belly, he chooses against it.

Sighing, Richard pushes the bowl of grapes away. "You're lucky you're pregnant." Lilian mutters under her breath, plopping down next to her father.

With one last glance in the mirror, I turn to the small audience gathered in the room. Giving a twirl, a smile forms on my lips as they holler.

Glancing at his watch, Richard coughs and rises to his feet. "It's time, y'all. Gotta get moving." The girls stand as well, grabbing a sunflower before lining in front of the door.

Richard chuckles nervously, rubbing his palms on his jeans. Smirking at his antics, I loop my arm through his. The two of us share a glance before following after the girls into the church.

From the corner of my eyes, I watch as the few people present stand from their seats. My eyes want to stay glued to the floor, too anxious to look ahead of me. With a pinch on my arm, my head snaps up, and my eyes begin to water.

He's so beautiful. With his dark hair and glasses hanging lopsided on his face. The dorky smile that rests on his lips. The way he gets excited when reading a new book. How he spends his time making sure his sisters are well and safe. He's the perfect gentleman.

With a kiss on my cheek, Richard places my hand in Klaus', making sure to send him a futile glare on the way to his seat.

The preacher speaks, but all I can focus on are the brilliant flecks in his eyes.

I don't realize the preacher is finished until Klaus mutters those two words.

"I do."

And my heart beats faster. "I definitely do."

| |

It isn't until almost midnight when Klaus and I return home. For the past three years, the Baudelaires have been living in their own apartment. Violet and Klaus despised feeling like they were imposing on Justice Strauss, so they rented an apartment as soon as they were able to.

It was my plan to move in with them earlier, but Richard asked if I wouldn't mind staying with him til after the wedding. I think he wasn't ready to not have someone else in the house with him. Lilian got married during our sophomore year in college, so she's been out of the house for the past two and a half years.

Klaus and I plop down onto the couch, me groaning as I remove the heels from my feet. "Not that today wasn't special or anything, but I'm so glad to be out of those shoes."

Klaus chuckles, pressing a quick kiss to my cheek. "Why did you wear them if they're so uncomfortable?"

"Because Lilian and Violet whacked me with rolled up newspapers until I agreed."

Klaus snorts. "Yeah that sounds like them." We sit in a comfortable silence, which is welcoming after the long and tiring day. But something feels off. "Is it just me or is it too quiet?"

I nod my head in agreement. "It's weird being here, just the two of us. There's no laughing or arguing over the last slice of pizza."

"Yeah, it's actually quiet and peaceful." We take a deep breath. "I don't like it."

"I don't either."