XXIII

Just one more minute

Just one more minute. If I can stay on my feet for one more minute, perhaps I'll be able to grab an apple. And not just any apple. No. The apple filled with true cure for Medusoid Mycelium. One bite, and I won't ever have to worry about the deadly fungus ever again. One bite, and I can live.

But time is running out. The hour is almost up.

My knees buckle, and I collapse besides Violet. The older girl violently coughs, too weak to even cover her mouth with her elbow. But there's no need. We're all infected.

The cure is right above our heads, yet we're all too sick to do anything about it.

What a pitiful death. To have the medicine right there, but not be able to take it. And no one will know. No one will know that the Baudelaire siblings, Kit Snicket, Olaf, and Ellis King have all died.

Something hisses into my ear. Something cool glides across my arm. My eyes are too heavy to open and see what it is.

Something presses against my lips. "Eat, Ellis." My mouth lazily opens.

The taste of apple touches my tongue, and everything seems brighter now. The strength returns to my muscles, and I push myself into a seating position.

The apple. The cure. We're not gonna die right now.

But Kit. She's still on the stack of books.

Using our regained strength, we sprint to her location. She's in mid labor and dying, and she won't eat the apple.

We're too weak to move her to shore, but Olaf isn't.

We give him the apple, and after learning Kit might die, he hurriedly eats it.

Not long after he sets Kit down on the sand does Olaf die. I thought I'd be happier. The man that tortured my friends and I is gone at last. But as much pain and misery he's caused, I wouldn't wish him dead.

Kit moans in pain. It's time. "Great. So...how are we doing this? Cause Prufrock Prep didn't exactly teach me how to deliver a baby. Actually, Prufrock Prep taught me nothing. So, I'm useless."

Violet snorts. "Grab her legs. We need to move her to one of the tents."

| |

For freaking ever. That's how long it took to deliver Kit's baby girl. And after witnessing the blood, tears, and pain, I'm not sure I ever want to have kids.

Kit coughs again. The apple isn't working.

The woman turns to me and nods. Slowly, I grab Beatrice into my arms, carrying her out of the tent.

Her mother is dying, she doesn't need to witness that.

The sound of coughing grows quiet, and my head hangs low.

So many. So many good people have died. So many people have died. After all we've been through, who would've guessed we'd be deserted on an island; caring for a newborn?

| |
One year. A full year has gone by. So many things have happened. I had my 16th birthday - finally the same age as Klaus again. But then he turned 17, and Violet became of age. (I realize the ages are wrong, but let's just pretend they're correct). Sunny is now almost 3. And Beatrice is officially a year old.

For a full year the Baudelaires and I have taken care of her. For a full year we lived in the tree house their parents built.

But it's coming to a close.

For today is Decision Day, and we've decided to leave. We've decided to return to the world.

But first, we celebrate.

Sunny carries the cake she made to Beatrice; placing it on her high chair. After counting down, Klaus and Violet help the toddler blow out her candles.

And then, we head to the boat.

Hey guys! So sorry it's been so long.

This is not the end, yet. I do have a few more chapters planned out.

I might have one posted sometime Sunday, but don't fully count on it cause I might wait til next Friday. Idk yet. But it'll be published by next week.