II

"Dad! You can't put your card down! It's not your turn!" Lilian shrieks, throwing a mini carrot at Richard's face

"Dad! You can't put your card down! It's not your turn!" Lilian shrieks, throwing a mini carrot at Richard's face. It smacks into his cheek before landing on the table.

Richard laughs, throwing his arms up. "That's it! I give up!" He tosses his cards down, them flying all over the place.

"Watch it! You got the ace of clubs on my pizza." Richard rolls his eyes at me, sticking out his tongue. Lilian and I share a glance before bursting into laughter.

Once our laughter dies down, Richard clears his throat. "You two should go pack. Snow Scouts leaves in the morning and you're going to want to have plenty of warm clothes." Lilian and I bid him goodnight, heading up the stairs to our shared room. It takes us until midnight to finish packing due to our constant joking and teasing. When we finally lay down, our tiredness allows us to sleep til morning.

| |

"Oh you have got to be kidding me. Someone clearly wants to punish me."

Lilian snickers at my complaining. "Lighten up. It could be worse."

"Worse than my brat of a cousin calling us cake sniffers for an entire week?" The brunette shrugs, glancing at the small red head. "Seriously, how did this happen? I knew Carmelita went to a camp every winter, but why did it have to be this one?"

Seeming to hear her name, the devilish little girl skips over to us. "Oh would you look at that, if it isn't my cake sniffing cousin." She smiles innocently. "Where are your orphan friends?"

I flinch at her last sentence. Where are my friends? "Leave her alone you brat." Lilian hisses at my cousin. Carmelita opens her mouth to respond, but is interrupted by the leader Brucie calling for everyone.

It takes almost three hours to reach the cave. The entire time having to hold a flame-lit stick in order to keep snow gnats away.

As Lilian and I set up our sleeping bags, I notice the masked boy keeps glancing at me. Despite not being able to see his face, his voice is eerily familiar. The words he speaks remind me of somebody, but I'm not sure why.

Lilian nudges me with her shoulder. "You've been staring at that boy for a while now." She points out. "He's kinda cute, huh?"

My eyebrows furrow. "How can you tell he's cute? You don't know what he looks like."

"Just cause I can't see his face doesn't mean I can't think he's cute." She smirks. "Besides, he looks pretty fit." Groaning, I push her away, climbing into my sleeping bag.

Sleep comes easy, which I'm thankful for. But nothing could prepare me for tomorrow's events.

Oh I wonder what will happen in the next chapter.
Prepare yourself, lots of tears and yelling coming up.