V

Baudelaire

Baudelaire. Of course the name Baudelaire would be the password to a V.F.D. submarine.

The siblings enter as soon as the hatch opens, but I'm hesitant to follow. Things are tense between us. Klaus and I have already argued twice in the past twenty four hours, and I don't want to make it a third. On top of that, how do I know I can trust whoever's in the submarine? Sure, it's a V.F.D. submarine, but if there's anything I've learned in the past six months it's to always be careful. You never know who's going to let you down.

Realizing I don't really have a choice, I climb down the ladder, landing on the ground with a loud thud. "The Daily Punctilio says you're dangerous murderers."

"They're not murderers." The three teens turn to face me, the unfamiliar girl with a look of shock. Guess she wasn't expecting me. "You can't believe everything you read."

The girl squints her eyes, watching me as I lean against one of the walls. "Ah, you must be Ellis King." I nod my head. "I read that you told everyone they were murderers." The small smirk on her lips makes me want to punch her, but I decide against it.

Violet coughs. "We haven't gotten your name yet."

The girl straightens, fixing the hat on her head. "Fiona Widdershins. I'm the captain of this sub." I zone out when she begins talking about her stepfather, instead focusing my attention on the different ingredients in the cupboards. Wasabi and tarragon. Lots and lots of the two. It's pretty odd. "I'm searching for the sugar bowl."

Tuning back into the conversation, I furrow my brows. "What's so special about this stupid sugar bowl?"

Fiona rolls her eyes, laying a map out on the table. "The sugar bowl fell into Stricken Stream when the headquarters at Mortmain Mountains burned down. It was carried out into sea, which is why the Queequeg is the only hope of finding it."

"What's so important about the sugar bowl?"

"Both sides of the schism are after it." Of course. She'll answer the Baudelaires questions but not mine. Perfect. "Some say it's the reason for the schism itself."

The Baudelaire siblings talk amongst themselves, clearly deciding whether or not to help Fiona find the sugar bowl. When they agree -and then ask me if I'm going to help- I protest. "Ellis, if this is about Lilian, we'll find her." Violet sighs.

I scoff. "When? After searching the ocean for some pot?" Fiona makes a noise of disagreement. "I get it, it's important to you guys...but Lilian is important to me. Sorry, but I'm not helping." I exit the room, walking through the hallways until I find a bed. Taking the one next to a window, I glance outside, watching the different fish swim by.

| |

Sometime later Violet plops down next to me, sighing angrily. Choosing not to say anything, I simply return my gaze out the window. It's quiet for a few minutes, until Violet sighs again. "I don't think I like Fiona." I turn to her, surprised she's actually speaking to me. "I mean, we should be trying to find Lilian or getting to the Last Safe Place, not searching for the sugar bowl. That's not our job." My eyes widen slightly at her confession. Her hand is suddenly placed on mine. "I'm sorry. Since being here I've realized that I never really listened to your explanation for what you did...I'd love to hear it now, if you don't mind."

Smiling, I tell her everything. Being interrogated by Richard. The trial. The group home. And finally, being adopted by Richard. "I never meant to hurt any of you. Richard said lying was the only way I wouldn't go to prison. If I lied, there'd be a chance I could see you again."

"But when you left, it was so sudden. We thought you didn't want to be around us anymore, considering you were hurt because of us." She stares at the ground, and I comfortingly squeeze her hand.

"It wasn't your fault." I watch with sad eyes as hers fill with tears. "Olaf was going to find me eventually. I don't blame you for that." She sniffles quietly. "I'm sorry, for leaving so suddenly. You guys wanted to find answers. One of your parents is still alive. Believe me, if one of mine were still alive I'd want to find them, too. But they're not. I found what I was looking for, and as horrible as it sounds, I was done. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to leave any of you...but I couldn't stay."

Violet wraps her arms around me. "I forgive you." And that's all it takes for the tears to start falling. She forgives me. "Klaus will, too. He's just upset. When you left, it really hurt him. Just give him time."

"I'm not sure time can fix us.