IX

The first time I had been to the ocean was when was I was three

The first time I had been to the ocean was when was I was three. Being so long ago, I don't remember much. What I do remember are the sounds. There was the sound of the water hitting against the rocks. My mother's voice scolding my father for not packing sunscreen. A boys laughter as he splashed water in my face. My cries as the salt water burned my eyes. But I don't remember who the boy was. There were other children present as well, all around my age, but I can't remember their names or faces.

I remember my Aunt Diane and her husband Fredrick had joined. Diane very much pregnant with my soon-to-be bratty cousin. That day was one of the last times I had seen them before my parents deaths.

It was an odd day. Being a national holiday, there were many people there, all waiting to see the fireworks. It was odd because my parents didn't particularly enjoy going to crowded places. They always felt uncomfortable near unfamiliar people. Yet we went to the beach, where tens of strange people like to spend their summer.

Looking back now, they never once got in the water. All day they had spent conversing with their adult friends, while I and the other children played. When I had asked my father to join us, he had merely shaken his head.

The last time I went to the ocean was the weekend before my twelfth birthday. That's all I had wanted to do to celebrate. Instead of coming, my parents had sent my friend Carolyn and I off on the trolley with a bag of coins for food. We didn't return til early evening, and I spent the entire afternoon wishing my parents had joined.

So as I stand in the airlock, staring down at the dark water, I wish my parents were here to calm my fears. Fear of the helmet not being secure enough, causing water to enter, and ultimately leading to me drowning. Fear of not finding the sugar bowl, resulting in Olaf torturing me again. Fear of finding the sugar bowl and giving Olaf more power. Fear of encountering deadly sea animals that could kill myself and the Baudelaires. And the list goes on.

Seeming to know my worries, Klaus slides his hand in mine and gently squeezes. "We'll be alright." Then, we're dropping into the cold water.

| |

The currents carry us to the Gorgonian Grotto, and we remove our water helmets when reaching the surface. An old metal staircase stands towards the back of the cave, a way out.

"Once we get the sugar bowl we'll be able to escape to the surface." Violet speaks, gazing around the grotto.

"Not without Fiona." The siblings turn to me. "What? Just cause I don't like her doesn't mean I want her suck with that creep. Plus Olaf knows where Lilian is." I walk over to a table filled with empty containers. They must've done a lot of experiments here.

Surveying the area, I groan when there's no sugar bowl. Instead, all that's left is a mark on the ground surrounded by footprints. "Those are recent." Klaus, Sunny, and I follow after Violet. "Hello! Is someone up there!" Violet shouts beneath the stairs.

"Violet? Klaus?" Quigley.

"What are you doing here?" We begin to climb up the stairs.

"V.F.D. sent me. I have the sugar bowl. I've learned so much. When you get up here I'll tell you everything." As Violet steps onto another stair, Klaus yells at her to stop. A green mist-like thing shines on the stairs, melting away everything it touches. The Medusoid Mycelium. Gripping onto her hand, I pull the older brunette down with me.

Realizing we can't get to him, Violet tells Quigley we'll meet him at The Last Safe Place. The four of us slip our masks back on, hurrying back to the water.

"I hope Quigley will be alright." Violet sighs when we return to the submarine.

Klaus scoffs. "I hope we'll be alright when they realize we don't have the sugar bowl."

A hoarse cough sounds in the airlock. Turning around to investigate, my eyes widen. "Guys!" Klaus and Violet stare at me with raised brows. "Somethings wrong with Sunny." The toddler struggles to remove her helmet. Then, we see it. A green mist spreading across the glass of the mask. "Shit."

FYI there will be more flashbacks cause they're important.