VI

Having nothing to do, I joined Violet as she wanted to look at the airlock she had passed earlier

Having nothing to do, I joined Violet as she wanted to look at the airlock she had passed earlier. With no knowledge as to how they work, I merely glanced at our surroundings. "There you are. Oh, uh hi Ellis." Perfect. This is exactly what I needed right now.

"Nothing onboard needed repairing, so Ellis and I have been studying the mechanics of this airlock." I cough at my brunette friend. "Okay, I've been studying the airlock." She explains to her brother how it works. You put on the diving suits, the room fills with water, then the hatch opens so you can go out to explore.

Klaus smiles slightly. "We've made some progress."

"You and Fiona?" I feel her gaze on me, but do nothing.

"You should give her a chance." Klaus sighs. "The reason she didn't tell us what's in the sugar bowl is because she doesn't know."

I turn to face the siblings, only staring at Violet. "So she lied? What else is she hiding?"

"She's on our side!" Violet rolls her eyes. "She's V.F.D.! She seems pretty noble to me."

Shaking my head, I take a step towards the boy. His eyes flicker up, connecting with mine. "Klaus, I know you. You always try to find the good in people, and I know you want to believe Fiona's trustworthy. But we don't know her. She could be pretending to be nice and turn us over to Olaf at any time." His eyes bore into mine. It's been so long since we've been this close...and weren't fighting.

"Don't you trust me?" His question is directed at his sister. Just when I thought there was a possibility that things could return to normal. That we could work things out. "Just try to work things out." He begins to leave the room. "Come on, we'll show you what we found." Violet and I wait a minute after he's gone before following.

The four of us stand around the table, the map spread across. Since oceans are in constant motion, the currents would've carried the sugar bowl to a new location. Fiona believes it to be near a spot titled A.A. Otherwise known as Anwhistle Aquatics. Calculations pinpoint the bowl underneath the research lab, at the Gorgonian Grotto. "So we'll set a course for the Grotto."

"We shouldn't rush it." Fiona contradicts. "We don't know if the calculations are correct."

"I'm sorry." I interject. "But aren't you the one who said 'she who hesitates is lost'?"

Violet nods her head. "We can't stop. We have to make it to The Last Safe Place by Thursday." Violet turns to her brother. "We're running out of time!" Fiona opens her mouth argue, but is stopped by Phil and Sunny entering with a bowl of soup. Taking a second to think it over, Fiona agrees to set sail for the Gorgonian Grotto.

| |

Once dinner is over, I return to the bed and window. It feels like I've been here forever, but it's only been hours.

My thoughts drift to Lilian. She's stuck with the most dangerous person I've ever met. She could be hurt, the other kids could be hurt. I don't even want to imagine what she's doing at this moment, but I hope she's alive. Olaf's already killed the two people I loved the most, I don't want him to do the same to her.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't realize someone was in here." Klaus stands at the entrance of the room, hands awkwardly clasped in front of him.

Shaking the previous thoughts away, I rise from the bed. "No, it's fine. I uh...I was just going anyways." I brush past him.

"Ellis, wait!" Shocked, I spin around.

I watch him stammer for a few moments, before letting out a breath. "It's okay, Klaus. You don't have to say anything."

"But I do. Actually, I want to yell." Klaus admits. "How could you leave us? How could you leave me?"

Walking forward, I grab his hands, and am surprised when he doesn't pull away. "Klaus, I am so so sorry." My voice breaks at the end. "I never meant to hurt you. But I couldn't be there any longer."

"Why didn't you tell me that? I would've understood." His voice becomes a soft whisper. "Maybe I could've found somewhere safe for you to stay, and we could've still been in contact." I try to speak, but he cuts me off. "That was the hardest part. Not knowing where you were, if you were safe. It killed me, Ellis." Unable to hear anymore, I throw my arms around him. Hesitantly, he reciprocates the action, burying his head in the crook of my neck.

When I left, I wasn't even thinking about what it would do to him. All I was worried about was getting away from Olaf. If only I had taken the time to stop and think about my actions, or maybe told him about my decision, then things might have been different.

Okay y'all, let me just be clear for a sec.
Klaus and Fiona ain't gonna be a thing in this story. They ain't gonna flirt, they ain't gonna kiss, they ain't gonna have feelings for each other. Nothing. I don't do love triangles. Frankly, I believe they're stupid and annoying. Ellis is Klaus' love interest and vice versa.

And that's all I wanted to say bout that.

Some of y'all have had different ideas on Violet's love interest. Some of you say Duncan and some say Quigley. I do have an idea bout that but I ain't gonna say anything til I know for sure.