XII

Sleep

Sleep. As exhausted as I am, sleep is the last thing on my mind. Even if I could, I don't particularly want to sleep. For the past few nights I keep having these weird dreams. But I'm not so sure that's what they are. They feel more like memories, but they make no sense.

"You're supposed to be resting." My eyes move from their spot on the ground to Klaus, who takes a seat next to me.

"I know." My voice is still scratchy. "Do you think our parents knew each other?" He doesn't hide his shock very well. "Lately I've been having these strange dreams, but I think they could be memories."

It sounds odd saying it out loud. "What are they about?"

I think back to the first memory. "Isadora, Duncan, and Quigley were in the first one. They were so young. There was also two men. One of them I had heard my father call Bertrand, and the other was Mr. Quagmire. I think he was my uncle."

"My father's name was Bertrand." His voice comes out quiet and disbelieving. "Were your parents a part of V.F.D.?"

Sighing, I shake my head. "I don't know. It's all so confusing." Comfortingly, Klaus rests a hand on mine, silently urging me to continue. "In the last memory, our parents were fighting." You gave the location of the sugar bowl to Olaf. "Klaus, I think my parents were on the bad side." The realization strikes me. The argument. Why the Baudelaires wanted nothing to do with my family. Why they wouldn't let me near their children. It was because my parents believed in something different.

I tell Klaus all of this. And when I think he's going to push me away, look at me differently because of my parents actions, he pulls me closer. This is it. This is why I never want to let him go. He typically uses words to express himself. But it's when he doesn't. It's when he holds my hand or pulls me close that makes my heart beat faster. It's the way he smiles that lets me know he cares. It's the pecks on my forehead that prove to me he will always be there.

And yeah, I could tell him the million things about him that send my mind spinning. But I've always been an action kind of girl. So, I do the one thing I know will let him understand everything I've been wanting to say to him.

I place my hands on his cheeks, and I kiss him.

I kiss him like I've been starving and he's the last plate of food. I kiss him like it's going to be the last time I ever see him. I kiss him like my life depends on it.

And then we're breaking apart for air, only to dive right back in. And his hands are on my waist, wrapping around me, pulling me flush up against him. And my hands are around his neck, fingers getting lost in his hair.

And it goes on and on and on, til I'm positive there's no other way I want to live on this earth. For if I could spend my time doing this, stay cuddled in his arms, with no other care in the world, I would never ever leave.

"I love you. I love you so damn much."

It has finally happened! It's been too long since my babies have kissed.