XIV

My parents were the type of people to get overly excited about the oddest things

My parents were the type of people to get overly excited about the oddest things. When the chili was spicy, when they completed the crossword in the newspaper, when they got coupons, when they found change in their pocket. Things that others seemed to overlook.

They were simple people, with simple lives. My father was a Mathematics professor at the local college, and mother worked as a seamstress at the boutique down the street. Father dropped me off at school every morning and I would walk to the boutique afterwards. We ate dinner at our small table every night.

Nothing about our lifestyle was strange. We were a perfectly normal family.

So why is the Jung family telling me differently?

"It all started eleven years ago." Eleven years ago? Wasn't that when- "Yes, Ellis. That was when you were in the hospital. That was the starting point."

I shake my head. "I don't understand. What does me having a medulloblastoma have to do with anything?"

Mr. Jung sighs. "Your parents were very poor at the time. They couldn't afford to pay for your treatment. When they joined V.F.D., they were told others would help in time of need. But no one did." Then how did they get the money? "Someone -who vocally disputed V.F.D. - showed your parents kindness, they payed for your entire treatment. That was when your parents realized V.F.D. wasn't noble like they once were."

"But they've done so much to help the Baudelaires and I." I protest. This is getting to be confusing. "How are they not noble?"

"Ellis, there are more instances." Mrs. Jung rests a hand on my shoulder. "The organization slowly began shutting your parents out. They wouldn't tell them about meetings, didn't answer their messages, not a single person checked in during your treatment." Not even the Baudelaires? Or the Quagmires? But we're family, literally. "Over the four years, it got worse. Your parents felt like they couldn't trust anyone. They faked it when around members, pretended everything was fine. But we knew the truth."

"But the Quagmires are family! The Baudelaires are family!" I don't mean to shout, but every vein inside me feels like fire. Fire that I can only extinguish with my voice. "Why wouldn't they help? Why wouldn't they visit?"

"Ellie." Carolyn speaks now, her words gentle and soft. "I don't know. We don't know. No one except them does."

"Word got around that Olaf was searching for the sugar bowl. At the time, your parents knew its location. Your parents knew he was no longer a member of V.F.D. Then, he believed in what your parents did. Peace, harmony, truth, faith, loyalty. Your parents came up with the idea to form the resistance. Olaf agreed to spread the word. And in exchange for the location of the sugar bowl, you would be protected. Olaf had many friends that could keep you safe, and that was all that mattered to your parents."

My hands run through my hair, tugging at the ends. "But Olaf hates me. He's tried to kill me."

Mr. Jung sighs. "Rumor has it your parents double crossed him a few years back. Which is why he murdered them, and why he wants to murder you."

So, V.F.D. wasn't loyal to my parents. No one was there when they needed them most. Those who despised the organization were. My parents grew tired of being kept in the dark, but they didn't leave because they worried I wouldn't be protected. Olaf offered protection, so my parents gave him the location of the stupid sugar bowl everyone wants to find. They finally left V.F.D. and created the Resistance. My parents double crossed Olaf, and he killed them, and now he wants to kill me.

"I know it's a lot to take in." Carolyn's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. "Do you have any questions?"

"Who am I supposed to trust? The people who betrayed my parents? Or the people my parents betrayed?"

"Who do you want to trust?"

Sorry if the reasons seem confusing. I tried to make it easy to understand. Also, I know it might sound like stupid reasons, but personally those would be good reasons for me...so no hate.

Also, introducing Kim Jisoo as Carolyn Jung because I love her and she's my bias.