VII

Flashback

A small, blonde child sprints down the stairs; her mother warning her to be careful with a laugh

A small, blonde child sprints down the stairs; her mother warning her to be careful with a laugh. The girl grips tightly onto a dandelion, one she had plucked only moments before from her mothers garden. Her mother knew this of course, for the little girl did so daily. She loved to bring them to her father, who always accepted the flower with a smile.

Just like every afternoon, the young child pushes open her father's study. Only this time, her father wasn't the only person there. Paying no attention to the strange men, the girl happily skips to her father. "Papa! I got you another flower!"

Unlike other days, her father doesn't smile. "Ellis!" He sends an apologetic glance to the men. "Remember what I told you this morning?"

Ellis thinks for a moment. "You have friends coming over to play and they don't like dandelions." Ronald King smiles fondly at his daughter, reaching over to ruffle her hair. Ellis giggles, placing the dandelion behind her father's ear before skipping out of the study.

"She's gotten so big."

"Indeed she has, Bertrand." Ronald turns back to the men.

"It's been too long since she's been over. Klaus asks about her all the time."

Mr. Quagmire joins the conversation. "My wife has been wondering when we can tell them the truth. You know she wishes they knew."

"I know." Ronald sighs. "Ellis has grown curious, I've found her in here snooping a few times. She found the photo."

"Violet and Klaus have done the same. I think they got the idea from her." Bertrand chuckles.

Ronald smirks. "She's always been a troublemaker. Remember when she put that spider on Duncan's bed?" Mr. Quagmire lets out a deep laugh. "He didn't speak to her for an entire week. She was so sad." The men laugh at the memory.

Someone knocks on the door, and Jeanette enters the room. "Brother, your wife is here. She's brought the kids with her." Jeanette informs.

Mr. Quagmire roses from his chair. "Well that's my cue. I should go before Ellis ropes them into a game of tag." He shakes Ronald's and Bertrand's hands before leaving. Upon entering the living room, he's not surprised to find he's correct. Ellis did rope Isadora, Duncan, and Quigley into a game of tag. "Children!" He calls. "We should get going, your mother's made a delicious dinner at home."

"But it's fish!" Isadora whines to her father.

Mr. Quagmire cringes. "Maybe we should stay here for dinner then." Scoffing, Mrs. Quagmire swats her husband on the arm. "Okay, okay. Say goodbye to Ellis, kids." Duncan, Quigley, and Isadora wrap the blonde in a hug before departing the home with their parents.

"Mommy, when can I see Klaus again?" The girl tugs at her mothers dress.

Jeanette snickers. So young and already her daughter cares for the boy. "Soon, Ellie. You'll see him soon."