VIII

Double update!! Make sure to read the chapter before this!

"We'll be at Anwhistle Aquatics within the hour." Fiona informs us when we enter the main area.

Something's not right. She was so hesitant about going, why? "What are you hiding?" I question the captain, moving around a desk. "You didn't want to go, and we deserve to know why."

Sighing, Fiona quits her walking. "The Medusoid Mycelium." The what? "It's a rare mushroom that only grows in the grotto. One of my books has a poem about it. 'A single spore has such grim power that you may die within the hour'."

"You know, if you add a beat that could be a sick song." They all turn to me, Violet chuckling whilst rolling her eyes.

The sonar detector begins beeping, and we all hurriedly slide down the pole to find why. A question mark lies on the screen, appearing to grow closer and closer to the sub. Fiona orders for the lights to be shut off, and the submarine is soon enclosed by darkness. The question mark comes nearer, until it's right against the Queequeg. A horrible screech is sound from outside. A force bangs against the sub, sending things crashing to the ground. I follow Klaus and Violet, hiding behind the table. The unknown object continues shoving into the sub, more items falling. A dark shadow passes through the window. It stops, leaving a giant eye to stare inside. Soon, the thing departs and the question mark disappears. "What was that?" We all rise from the ground at Violet's question.

"Sailors call it The Great Unknown." That explains the question mark.

Klaus stares out the window. "Did you see it through the porthole? It was enormous."

Fiona shrugs him off. "That was nothing. A few scales, a glimpse of skin. My stepfather used to say there are things more powerful than human beings can fathom." She goes around the area, flipping all of the lights back on. "Ancient, mysterious things. The Great Unknown is one of them. We have a book about it in the library." Klaus decides to read the book, and leaves to find it.

| |

Not much long later, the sonar detector beeps again. Looking at the small screen, a giant squid appears. Violet and I swiftly shut off the lights, again. Even with everything turned off, the squid still comes our way. Curious, I look out the porthole, finding a very unusual submarine. Despite our efforts, the strange sub catches up to us. It's metallic tentacles wrap around the Queequeg, trapping us. The hatch opens, and footsteps emerge on the ladder. On the ankle is the oh-so-familiar tattoo that I've grown to fear.

Klaus grabs a hold of my hand as we find somewhere to hide, the best place being behind the desk. My heart pounds loudly, and I try desperately to control my fast breathes. A part of me believes we'll be okay. That Olaf will find nothing and leave. But then Phil speaks, and I know our cover is broken. Phil mentions kids, and now we have no choice but to reveal ourselves. "Well, well, well."

"The Quagmires." Esme scoffs.

Olaf rolls his eyes at the blonde. "It's the Baudelaires and that annoying blonde girl, love."

The pair slowly walk closer to us. "Who?" Does she seriously not know.

"You adopted us for a while." Violet tells her, motioning to her siblings.

"And locked me in your elevator shaft."

Esme shrugs her shoulders. "Doesn't ring a bell." How daft is this lady?

Olaf comes around the desk, only inches away from me. "What a fortuitous turn of events. I was expecting to torture an old enemy until he revealed your location, but now I can skip the middleman and simply torture you." An odd sound escapes their mouths, and then they're grabbing us by the back of our shirts and pulling us away. "I thought you drowned in Stricken Stream. I was heartbroken."

"Bullshit." I hiss at the evil man, stepping away from him when his hold lets go. "You just wanted to kill us yourself." Olaf stares at the picture of Captain Widdershins, wondering where he is. Klaus answers, telling the villain that Widdershins left to check on a manatee. I'm a little surprised when he believes it. Then again, Olaf has always been fooled by weird things.

From the corner of my eye, I watch Violet as she glances around the room; trying to find some way to escape. Her finger points at something behind Olaf. "Sea monster!" Catching on, Klaus and I slip away from Olaf, but we don't get very far. The man wraps an arm around the two of us, pushing us into Violet.

My mouth drops open when I notice Carmelita is in the room. My own cousin, helping a cruel man capture my friends and I. We never got along, but this hurts immensely. How could she do this?

Esme suddenly gasps. "Darling! They found the sugar bowl!"

"Since when?"