XXII

After speaking to Ishmael, the Baudelaires and I remain in the tree house. Today is Decision Day. Do we stay? Or do we leave?

On the island, we'll be safe. But we'll miss the outside world.

We could leave. I could return to Lilian and Richard. Maybe the Baudelaires could stay with Justice Strauss. We could find the Quagmires.

"So, what do we want to do?" The Baudelaires slowly raise their heads, sighing as they do so. "Violet, you're the oldest, why don't you go first?"

Violet groans, plopping her head in her hands. "I don't know. With Olaf locked away, we're safe on the island. And with him on the island, we'd be safe anywhere we go. But where would we go?"

"Do you think we could go to Justice Strauss?" Klaus looks at his sister. "Would she forgive us for leaving her at the hotel?"

"Do we even know if she's alive?" Right. The hotel was burning down when we left. But she has to be alive, and so does Lilian. Until we know they aren't, we have to act like they're alive.

But Richard's still alive. "I'm sure Richard wouldn't mind having a few more kids to look after."

For a second, I think they'll agree. It's the best -and possibly only- option at the moment. But then Violet shakes her head, and so does Klaus. "They don't know us. We couldn't just show up to their home and ask for a place to stay. Justice Strauss offered. If she forgives us, we'll go there."

"So, it's settled? We're leaving?"

| |

"Then, I declare Decision Day over!"

The Baudelaires and I shove through the small crowd. "No! It's not over. We're leaving."

Ishmael narrows his eyes at us. "You seem agitated. Why don't you have some cordial?"

"We won't drink any." Klaus spits at the old man. "And neither should any of you! We read about it, it's an opiate!" Klaus shows the book he read last night to the crowd, before throwing it onto the sand.

Ishmael tries to persuade the islanders to listen to him. "Nothing wrong with a little opiate!"

"Ishmael's trying to control you! That's why nobody remembers your lives before the island, and why nobody ever wants to leave!" Despite all of our pleading, nobody listens to us. They all return to drinking the cordial.

Except for Friday, who begins shouting about a castaway. After glancing through his spyglass, Ishmael informs everyone it's a very hurt -and very pregnant- woman. There's only one person the Baudelaires and I know who it could be. Kit Snicket.

Without a second to hesitate, we sprint to her location.

She lays on a hill of books, appearing almost dead. But she's breathing.

While Klaus returns to deal with Olaf, Violet and I wrap Kit's ankles.

The woman awakes not long after we finish. "Kit! You washed up on an island, but you're gonna be all right."

Raising to rest on her hands, Kit shakes her head. "I'm afraid we're all far from all right. I saw a diving helmet full of a dangerous fungus wash up." The Medusoid Mycelium.

But where could it be?

"Oh, fuck." Kit raises a brow at me. She's not used to me speaking whatever the hell I want.

Before I have to explain, Violet gaps. And the two of us jump off the hill of books and hurry back to the mainland. For the poisonous fungus is currently being used to disguise Olaf as a pregnant woman.

We get closer, and Ishmael raises the harpoon gun at Olaf. He doesn't hear our yells to stop, and pulls the trigger.

Bullseye.

The glass from the helmet shatters, and the Medusoid Mycelium billows out in a deadly fog.

The Baudelaires and I hurriedly cover our mouths and nose, but the islanders don't. One by one, they begin coughing.

Having no spices, they follow Ishmael to the outrigger. They won't make it. Ishmael is leading them to their deaths.

And if there's no horseradish or wasabi, the Baudelaires and I are doomed.