Transplant

Natalie

Today's the day.

It's been a month full of Carter killing people, punching trees, and getting hurt.

The month Carter thought he was gonna die.

But he didn't.

He made it to the big day.

The day he gets his new heart before his small one completely shuts down, which its about to do.

"I'm fucking nervous" he says, squeezing my hand.

"Awww baby, it's gonna be okay" I smile, brushing his curly hair to the side as I kiss his forehead. "You're gonna live out the rest of your life now"

"Yea well what if it fails? What if I die during this procedure?" he freaks out.

And I know he wants to cry.

My poor baby...

"You'll be fine" I rub his forehead with my thumb. "I'll be right out this door, waiting for you to come out with your new heart!"

He sighs and closes his eyes. "I love you"

I smile. "I love you too, baby"

"Alright, time to go in the back" the nurses walk in and Carter opens his eyes, looking at me.

"It's gonna be okay! You're okay!" I hold his hand with both of mine.

"Ready to go, Archer?" a nurse asks and I immediately notice Carter freak out.

"Babe it's gonna be okay! I promise! We're all gonna be out here waiting for you!" I passionately kiss him and he takes deep, hard breaths.

"I love you so much" he closes his eyes.

"I love you too" I put my hand on his cheek and smile.

He lets go of my hand and the nurses wheel him out.

The family all hype him up as he wheels past them.

I sit down next to Rachel who's secretly freaking out.

I'm over here telling Carter it's gonna be okay and helping him not be scared, but meanwhile I'm nervous.

I know he's strong and nothing will go wrong...

but what if it does?

"I'm here!!" Laura runs in and I stand up with a smile, hugging her. "Are you okay?" she rubs my back and we pull back.

"Scared" I frown.

"Aww girl... it's gonna be okay! He's annoying, mean, stubborn, I mean wayyy too stubborn to leave you guys" she chuckles.

I sigh. "I know. I know"

"Wanna go grab some food in the cafeteria?"

"Sure" I say and tell everyone we're going to the cafeteria before I leave. "Can we go to the gift shop after too? I wanna get the big ole baby something"