Secret Admirer

"Again?" Knott asked, leaning a bit closer to my locker. He raised a perfect eyebrow as his eyes shifted from the gift to me.

I could only nod as I kept my books in the locker, taking the box with me to the canteen.

"Oh god! Again?!?! I wish I had your luck, Ai'Arthit," Toota whined.

"Open fast. I want to see what's inside it." Bright snatched the box from my hand and placed it on the table.

My eyes flitted towards Knott, a nod from him and my hands shakily started opening the gift. I had no idea whether I was quivering due to fear or excitement.

"Fuck, Arthit!! It's a Rolex," Prem said while I sat there frozen.

Was it a coincidence?

Suddenly, the lunch break didn't seem that important. I spent it thinking about the gifts, ignoring my friend's excitement and just absentmindedly played with the food on my plate.
The next few hours went by in a blur and at the same time felt excruciatingly slow until I rushed back to my dorm. Arranging all the gifts in the order I received them, I sat there with the same question playing on a loop in my mind.

Was it a coincidence?

But seeing the various gifts on my bed, I knew. I knew it was no coincidence.

It had all started with a pinkmilk and then proceeded to become more and more expensive to the point that I have a Rolex watch in my hand. A watch that probably costs half a year worth my phor's salary. But the increasing price tags weren't the coincidence, my brain was stuck on. It was the fact that every item in front of me was something I had desired and couldn't get them due to reasons as petty as wrong timing or the plain old problem of it being too expensive for my middle-class self. 

The thing which confused me even more was the fact that these wishes were the ones, I have never told anyone. Not even my friends and family. I took a notepad and a pen sat down at the work desk and started jotting down everything I knew about the gifts.

— It all started in freshmen year. The day I was first punished by P'Tum.

— I received a gift every month.

— Soon to be a year since I started receiving these

— On Valentine's day, the gift had a printed note saying, 'Happy Valentine's day'.

— The price seems to be increasing

— Each and every gift was something I desired deep within my heart. No one knew about these wishes.

"Woah, from which side did the sun rise today? The almighty Arthit is early to a morning class," Bright said even before I could take my seat beside Prem.

"Bright, shut up. I am not in the mood of your shit," I was shocked with my own words. I always got angry on my friends but my words were never harsh to this extent.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Bright asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. His face was completely serious as he looked at me.

I sighed and rubbed my face with both of my hands. "I am sorry. Here." I passed the notepad to him. The other three were fast to join Bright in reading the book.

"Look, I am not saying that it's not a big deal but we have already tried everything we could. The secret admirer of yours is always a step ahead," Knott said, going back to his seat.

"Wait, wait. I knew everything else but the last point," Prem said, pointing at the list.

"Each and every gift was something you desired deep in your heart? Is this some vampire shit where your secret admirer can read minds and stuff?" Bright asked laughing, making others laugh too except for me and Toota.