Chapter 4: A Bear

HElLo :3

Edited: July 10, 2020.

>>>>>>

Your POV

I had tried to sleep but the sensation of eyes watching me didn't help.

"Hey, can you not stare at me? I can feel your eyes on my back..." I asked him, sitting up and glancing at him from across the cave. He didn't say anything but stood up instead, walking passed me and to the entrance of the cave. He paused briefly before stepping out onto the grass, since we got here it's been sprinkling. A shiver runs down my spine, I hug myself to keep what body heat I have left to myself.

"Stay here. I'll be back so don't go anywhere or-" He hesitated, glancing over his shoulder to face me.

"Or there will be consequences." His voice harsh and threatening, I nod right away, avoiding his gaze. The guy began to march out but I jumped up, surprising myself when I grabbed his hoodie lightly.

"Wait, what's your name?" I gazed into his dark eye-holes, my body slackened but I still locked onto his hoodie.

"Jack..." His voice hesitant but reluctant, my brows furrow. He then proceeded to drive away and into the cold rainy night, his hoodie falling from my fingers. The wind picked up, the fire going out right after. I sighed, rubbing my arms to try and create friction. I lay beside the dead fire, trying to get some leftover warmth from it's dying flames.

-----------

"Hello?" My voice is shaky and weak from no sleep, it's been an hour and no sign of Jack. I'd heard something come from outside the cave so my first thought was that Jack was back, my hopes would soon be shut down.

"Jack, is that you?" I got up, slowly making my way to the entrance of the cave. The thing I saw wasn't Jack, it was something big and hairy. I backtracked as slow as possible back into the cave, trying not to get the attention of the black bear standing a couple feet away. It's breath puffed into the air like smoke, mine coming out in small huffs.

"Please go away," I mumbled to myself but he just kept on coming, inching closer by the second. When it was only inches away, it stood up tall- about 7 feet before setting its front paws against the wall beside me.

It roared into my face, a shriek escaped my throat. It's teeth getting uncomfortably closer to my face, if it wanted it could chop my head off.

"Go away, Yogi!" I burst out, causing the bear to become angrier. It lifted it's right paw up, ready to smack the shit out of me. I pressed my body farther against the cave wall, gazing away from it and closing my eyes.

I was crying now, I disliked crying because it was the gateway to showing weakness and vulnerability. Feeling powerless to those around you, having to feel like the big kid and suck it up.

There was a loud thud, leading the sound of the bear's cries. Opening my eyes, they widen at the side of Jack clawing at the bear's back. He pulls out his scalpel, stabbing the creature with so much force I thought it went through it. For some strange reason, I felt bad for it.

The bear's roars grew greater in number after that strike, it flailed around until finally flinging Jack of it's back. Jack landed in the dirt, rolling until he was positioned on one knee and one hand. My jaw dropped in aw, what kind of psychopath is this dude?

Jack stood straight and tall, showing the bear he was the dominant one. It moaned in pain, glancing back at us before running off into the woods with a blood trail following. After a minute, Jack finally spoke.

"It's not safe here." He glanced back at me over his shoulder, I rolled my eyes. No really? I totally didn't almost die.

Jack grabbed something from his front pocket, putting it out to give to me. I examined it in his hands, believing it was a pair of wool gloves.

"These are for me?" I questioned, now staring at him. Jack sighed, nodding his head.

"It's a thank you for helping, want it or not?" Jack sounded a little irritated on the last part as if I was intimidating him or judging him. I could tell my eyes lit up at his gesture, the corner of my lips pull up, grabbing the gloves from his gloved hands. So tsundere, I guess He does care about my well-being. I might be going on a limb here but, I might as well go for it.

I had decided that from now on I could trust him, something in my head just told me to.

"Thank you, Jack." I tried to keep my voice calm and steady, slipping on the gloves which held some warmth from when they were in Jack's pockets. Now that I got a good look at him, he was soaking wet. His hair was washed down, clothes were soaked, and his shoes were covered in mud.

Jack walked ahead, I followed closely behind him, getting wet myself.

"Do you know a place around here?" he asked, still hiking in the mud with his clothes getting more soaked by the second. I thought about it, we could go to the cabin I was staying at but did I trust him enough to do that? this was going to bite me in the butt later isn't it?

"Yeah, I'm staying at a cabin nearby. It's this way-" I point my finger in the opposite direction, I stood ahead of him, his gaze stuck to my back. Suddenly, a burst of lightning shot through the sky. Startled, I grab the nearest thing to me which happened to be Jack's hand.

My face felt hot when I realized what I did, such a baby being afraid of lightning. His fingers were cold within my gloved hands even if we both had gloves on, it seeped through the thin materials. Snapping my hand off his, I whisper an apology before continuing ahead. The house had come into sight, the sight making me feel an overlook of joy. I got to the door, opening it up for Jack, following right after shutting and locking the door.

"There is a second room if you want it, I can clean it for you?" I suggested to him but he just shook his head.

"No, I can take care of it." Jack walked off into the spare room, shutting the door behind him. Taking off the gloves and setting them on the kitchen counter, I headed to my room after picking up the book I had left earlier and closing my door behind me.

Eyeless Jack's POV

The room was... ok. If you didn't count the dust everywhere and it's lack of heating.

"Damn it-" I abruptly sneezed loudly, lifting my mask and wiped my nose with my sleeve. I began to clean with a rag I found in one of the drawers from the closet nearby, it was nearly an hour before I finished. Taking my wet clothes off, setting them on the ground to dry as I stood in my boxers. I made sure the door was locked before landing on the bed, knocking out right away.

-

I woke to the sound of loud cries and bangs coming from outside my room, being the curious bastard I was, I put on my pants and mask before leaving the room. To my knowledge, it was about 5 o'clock. I opened the door and began to follow the noise to (Y/N)'s room. Well, of course, it was her.

"(Y/N)." I called, shuffling gradually towards the bedroom door. Sliding the door open, I was met with the covers on the ground and a tiny human centipede laying on the bed. Getting closer, I could see her eyes were puffy red from tears coming from her eyes, she must be having a nightmare, but about what?

Sitting down on the bed, I watched her sleeping form with curiosity. What? don't judge. I tilted my head, she seemed to feel my weight on the bed because she shifted closer to me. Her leg brushed my bare waist, her skin was ice cold compared to my warm flesh. A shiver went up to my spine, shifting out of her cold reach.

Her expression had changed from contortion to what looked like a calm state, I stared at her response to our small contact. Deep down I was happy someone wasn't frightened of me, it was relieving.

God damn it, I'm becoming soft. I quickly sat up, taking one last glance at her before booking it to the door. However, before I could walk through the door, my name was called.

"Jack?"

>>>>>>>

I'm too tired to finish so I'll make the next chapter longer...