08. ROLLING JOINTS

08.

She looks over her outfit in the mirror. Her black baggy jeans fell down to her white trainers, and her top felt scandalous as it ended by her belly button and her cleavage was more exposed than usual.

Grayson is laying on her bed, not a care in the world for how he looks for the party. The only reason he was going was in hope that he'd manage to get laid, plus he didn't want to leave Summer with a guy he's never met. He knew how guys were, how controlling they could be—especially considering her ex boyfriend. He'd need to meet this 'Brad' boy before he trusted Summer alone with him at a party.

"We're running late as it is," Grayson says. "Are you finished checking yourself out in the mirror?"

"Yeah," she nods. "Let's go."

Grayson grins and grabs his jacket that was laid on the edge of her bed, before she follows him down to his car. They begin their drive with carpool karaoke as they go to the address that Brad sent her.

Grayson had decided to be the designated driver for the night, just to put Summer's mind at rest about getting home safe later. It wasn't his favourite idea, but he was stuck to it now.

When they arrive, she's not surprised to see people sat on the walkway with cigarettes in their hands and beer bottles loitering at their feet. The door was wide open with club tracks playing, and the only reason the neighbours hadn't complained was because the street was full of student houses.

She wondered how anyone could like coming to parties regularly, but then she wondered why she came here. A small part of her said it was to see Brad, another much larger part said it was because she just wanted a night out instead of at home studying.

Now that she's single and doesn't have a controlling boyfriend messaging or calling her whenever she's out, she felt more calm coming out because she had the free will to do whatever she wanted.

Grayson parks the car across the road before they get out of the car together and walk into the house. As expected, it's crowded and reeks of cannabis and alcohol. Someone had thrown up on the floor and was passed out on their friend's legs as they tried to call a taxi for them, and it wasn't even that late into the night yet.

She sends Brad a text, letting him know she's here. Grayson looks down at his friend before yelling over the music, "is he coming to meet us?"

As though on cue, Brad texts her back, asking where she is. She quickly types back a reply, telling him she's by the front door.

"Yeah, I think so," she says, glancing up at Grayson.

"Good, I want to give him the whole 'ruin my best friend and I'll ruin your life' talk," Grayson says, puffing out his chest. She laughs at him.

"Yeah? Go ahead."

Grayson spins on his heel at the deep voice that answers him. He's met with a muscular, tattooed man stood behind him with his arms folded and eyebrows raised, amused. Grayson looks over him once before glancing back at Summer nervously.

"You know what? I think I trust this guy," Gray says, tapping his shoulder with a huge fake smile. "I'm gonna go and get a drink."

"Don't forget your driving," Summer reminded her friend, knowing how he could get influenced into drinking too quickly.

"A drink of water," he said like it was obvious.

"Stay safe, Gray," Summer calls out to her friend that was already walking away before he could embarrass himself further in front of Brad.