04. TATTOOS

04.

"I want to get another tattoo," Sophie says as she sits on Summer's bed, admiring her arm sleeve of tattoos while Summer writes up an essay that wasn't due until after the festive break. She wanted to get her homework done before she started stressing about university again.

"Do you need another one?" Summer asks her friend, glancing over her shoulder as she sits at her computer desk. "And can you afford it?"

"Couldn't afford the last one I got," Sophie shrugs, pointing the the crescent moon on her finger. "A couple of blowjobs should be enough, as long as Connor's the one that's in."

"You have a boyfriend, might I remind you," Summer shakes her head in disapproval. "Besides, I don't think using your body to get a tattoo is necessary. Just get a few extra shifts at your job."

"I got fired a couple of days ago for breaking someone's nose when they told me to take back their food because there was too much salt on it."

Summer tuts, sighing before looking back down at her essay. While she was aware that violence isn't the answer, she could justify it sometimes. This was not one of those times.

"So can you come to the tattoo place with me today?" Sophie asks.

"Why don't you take your boyfriend? I've got an essay to write."

"Don't think George would appreciate me sucking another guy's dick off while he's in the room next door."

"Don't think he'd appreciate you doing that at all," Summer shakes her head, exhaling. "Why don't you just get a new job? Save up your money?"

"Because I really want a butterfly tattoo on my back," Sophie pouts. "Like right now."

"Why do you want a butterfly?" She asked.

"It's trendy," Sophie said. "If you come with me, I'll buy you a drink on the way back."

It was a tempting offer, and Summer could really use some caffeine to help her get through her pile of work she needed to get through before her deadline. An added bonus was that Sophie wouldn't be complaining in her ears.

"Okay, fine," she gave in too easily.

"Brilliant!" Sophie cheers before standing up off of the bed quickly.

They get their shoes and coats on before Sophie guides Summer down to her beaten down truck, getting in and driving down the road. Summer had never been with Sophie while she's gotten one of her tattoos, and she was nervous.

All of her friendship group had at least one, minor tattoos, except Summer. She thought tattoos were meant to have a meaning, so she never thought about getting one for herself.

"I really should've messaged Connor to see if he's in today," Sophie admits as they wait at a red light. "I'm sure he will be anyway, he basically lives at this place."

"Where is it, anyway? The tattoo place?" Summer asks curiously.

"Not far from here," Sophie says as they pass Charlie's apartment block. "Five minutes, maybe ten."

Summer nods and looks out of the window, looking at the scenery passing by.

She had met Sophie only a few months before on her first day of university. Summer wasn't planning on staying in Birmingham after school because she hated the place; but since she was in a comfortable relationship with Charlie, she didn't really want to leave anymore.

Sophie was loud, always has been since the day Summer met her. Sophie was talking nonsense to her ex-boyfriend, Noah, enthusiastically moving the Starbucks drink around as she spoke. Of course, the drink happened to land on Summer. Sophie didn't usually feel bad about those types of incidents, but Summer looked so innocent and helpless that she couldn't help but feel guilty.