Chapter 16

------------ Chapter 16 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Draco's POV)

I gulp nervously. The butterflies in my stomach definitely have butterflies of their own! I really can't imagine why I'm so nervous...oh wait...

I take a few deep, calming breaths and walk to the front door.

I ring the doorbell and barely a moment later, mom holds the door open for me. She must have been waiting by the door!

"Draco!" she exclaims as she pulls me into a huge hug.

"Hi mom! I've missed you too," I whisper to her, scared again.

Mom holds me at arm's length, taking a good look at me, before smiling again. She interlocks our arms and walks me through the house to the parlour.

"You have to tell me everything! How has school been?" she asks enthusiastically. I have to admit, after the fall of the Dark Lord, mom and dad have done a complete 180. Sometimes it's like they aren't even the same people!

"School's so-so, mom," I answer vaguely. She gives me one of her famous penetrating looks and I just smile at her. I yawn and I'm immediately ushered to my room, which is really quite welcome! It's about time I got to sleep in a decent bed!

The moment my head hits the pillow, I'm out like a bulb!

***

"Draco?"

"Draco sweetie?"

"It's time to eat, dear"

I grunt in response and turn over. I hear low chuckles.

"He may be 18, but he's still the same little boy," I hear my dad's voice float to me.

"I'm not the same!" I insist vehemently, jumping off the bed. I can't believe he could say I was the same! I spent my entire semester trying to convince everyone at Hogwarts that I've changed, and yet, my own family doesn't believe I've changed?

Mom and dad exchange a look and begin murmuring quietly to calm me down. I push past them towards my connected washroom. I stand staring at myself in the mirror for a long time. The boy in the mirror scrutinised me.

What if I hadn't changed? The boy in the mirror certainly hadn't!

"Son?" dad calls softly from over my shoulder. I look at his reflection in the mirror as he watches me.

"Is something wrong, Draco?"

"Have I changed, dad?" I ask him suddenly.

"Changed?"

"Yes...changed. Have I?"

"Sure you have...all of us have," my father whispers perplexed, his hard face scrunched up in curiosity.

"You told mom I hadn't changed," I accuse him quietly.

"I meant you still sleep like the dead. What is this about, Draco?" he asks me sharply.

"Oh...then I apologise. I'm a little...hyper now, I guess," I reply lamely.

He nods, obviously not buying it. "Well, once you've calmed down, come downstairs. Dinner is waiting," he says simply before leaving the room.

I wash my face a couple of times. The cold water calms me down a little. I wash up, change and head down the long, elegant stairs.

One of our many house elves holds my chair out for me, and I take my seat on my father's right at our long table. The feast set before me looks scrumptious. Any and every kind of food I have ever shown any interest in is lined up for my pleasure.

"After you Draco," dad murmurs formally, as the house elves begin serving us. I nod my head in appreciation and take a mouth full of the roasted turkey.

Once I'm about halfway thorough dinner, I take a sip of wine and clear my throat. Mom and dad look up at me expectantly. I grin in anticipation of their shock and pleasure.

"I wanted to surprise you...but I think now is as good as ever...I was elected the school Head Boy," I announce proudly. Mom looks like she's about to burst in pride and dad grins wryly at me.

"Congratulations son," he murmurs, genuine pride in his voice. I feel myself glowing under his approving smile.

"Who's the Head Girl then?" mom prods, and I know where this will lead.

"Hermione Granger," I shrug nonchalantly.

Mom and dad exchange a look, but they know better than to say anything. Like I said, mom and dad HAVE changed. They still look down on anyone who isn't of pure blood heritage, but they are learning that it takes all kinds!

"So?" my mom continues subtly.

"So what, mom?"

"Are you and the Granger girl-" she begins, before I stop her with a hand.

"No! Of course not!...but there is someone," I whisper as my cheeks begin heating up.

Mom and dad share another speculative look.

"Do we know her?" dad asks.

"No...even I just met her this year," I admit sheepishly.

"A first year?!" mom asks incredulously as I grin at her.

"No...she's in her fifth year. For some reason, she only just started at Hogwarts this year...I guess with everything going on recently...she was overlooked?" I respond, avoiding eye contact.

"She isn't a pure blood, is she?" dad asks sharply.

I merely nod in agreement.

Obviously dad would know she wasn't a pure blood! No pure blood would have ever been overlooked...but with all that's been going on with the Dark Lord...the only people who could have been overlooked would have been those of muggle parentage.

Here it comes, the anger and the banishment!

But to my surprise, nobody says anything at all. Throughout dinner, the three of us sit quietly. I mostly toy with my food, I've lost my appetite. As soon as possible, I excuse myself from the table and take the stairs two at a time.

I lie on my bed, still fully clothed, wondering what to do now.

I mean, I love Deid. I really do...but what if my parents make me choose? What if I choose Deid and they disown me? Can I really go through that? But what if I give Deid up...could I live with myself then?

Either way, it doesn't sound very likely.

Just then, there's a feather light knock on my door, the door then swings open quietly.

Oh, I was wrong...here comes the lecture.

"What is she like?" mom asks quietly.

I stare at her incredulously as she comes and sits by me on the bed, smoothening out my hair. I grin at her and jump into every minute detail of Deid. Everything I love about her...which is well...everything!

"She sounds wonderful, Draco," mom soothes.

"She is...she really is. She wants me to meet her family," I admit quietly.

"You should. But I want to meet her too."

"You do? But I thought dad-"

"I'll deal with your father. We want you to be happy, Draco. And if this girl can make you happy, I wouldn't mind if she had three heads," mom smiles down at me.

She kisses my forehead and walks out of my room, closing my door behind her.

Phew! I must be dreaming! That couldn't have just happened, could it?