Chapter Seventeen : It was Unexpected

Katie's POV

As the tears go down my face, kissing Ian's lips. I felt a smile. No, it wasn't my smile, I felt him kissing back. Is this my imagination?

No, it's not. It felt real. I slowly stopped, I looked at him. His eyes still closed... Oh... I was just imagining. I looked away thinking about him, thinking about us.. I love him.

"Why'd you stop kissing me?" My heart pounded faster, what did I just hear? Was I dreaming? Am I still imagining?! I looked at him, he's smiling at me.

"Ian?!" I shouted at him, if he's really awake. He opened his eyes and looked at me.

"Hi." He smiled at me. Oh my God, I'm not imagining!! He's awake! Ian's awake! 

"Oh my God! You're awake!!!" I hugged him and I was crying so much with tears of joy. I was pushing the nurse button to get in here, I was so happy, so much emotion.

"Mom!! Dad!!! he's awake!!!" I was yelling so happily.

"Whoa relax, you're so loud. What happen?" I loved hearing his voice again. Our families came in, and we were so smiley, everyone was crying.

The nurses came in and made Ian feel more relaxed without the machine in his nose. It took a while till we all settled down.

"So..can anyone tell me what happen?" Ian asked again. So I started to tell the story.

"When we were driving, after you told me about military. There was a truck, and that truck hit your side of the car, you hugged me to protect me but we both were in pretty bad shape.

That was five or four days ago. You've been asleep the whole time till now." I ended there waiting to see if he'll ask any more stuff.

"Why is your bed here with me? How long were you out? What were you guys doing the whole time I was out?" He was really curious, like he didn't believe it.

"Well big bro, we told the nurses to put her in your room with you so she wouldn't leave your side. She never let your hand go since then. She reads to you, everything she ever wrote in her journal, each night when she sleeps she asks you to wake up. We all do. We figure if you hear a familiar voice you'll wake up. Oh and Katie was out for two hours and she woke up while you stayed asleep sleeping beauty." Ivory said looking happy her brother is awake.

"Wow okay so.. I'm hungry. When do I get out of here? I want some KFC right now." Everyone started laughing. We've been through so much the past few days. It was nice to have a little laugh. Our nurse comes in again.

"The doctor said you will be here for just a couple of more days and you can finally go home. Glad to see you're awake, you scared all of us here." She excused herself and went out the door.

Yeah, now you're not a bitch. It's almost 9pm. All we want to do is rest now. I looked at Ian, he's falling asleep. I poked him.

"Hey, stay awake, I'm scared you might sleep forever again" I was so worried.

"Aww come on I’m tired." He hugged me with his left hand and I was leaning on his chest.

"How can you be tired? You've been asleep for a long time." I loved being beside him like this.

"Hey give me a break, you slept beside me how many nights and I didn't even know it. Now I do, this is officially the first night we'll be sleeping together cause you're in my arms. Or.. arm for now." He stretched and he saw what I wrote. He smiled at me.

"What are you looking at?" I stared at him.

"You told me you love me didn't you." I was looking at him in shock.

"Y... You heard what I said?"

"I was dreaming the whole time, and all I heard was your voice. The weirdest thing is, you kept telling me to wake up, and I was just like 'Why are you telling me to wake up? I am awake?' and yeah, it was a really long dream. It felt real, but we never kissed on the lips. You've been kissing me on my cheek though. Last thing I remember, we graduated, and we gave a big kiss in front of the whole school and parents. Then I woke up here, I was so lost wondering how this happened." Listening him tell his story, this was so amazing. We kissed one last time again and fell asleep in each other's arms.

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Weeks Later~

I was pushing Ian around in his wheelchair; we got lots of people signing our casts. They were calling Ian a hero for saving me, they were also admiring him. He seemed happy about it.

Graduation is this weekend and our teachers are nice enough to give us a chance because we've been good all year, never failed. Our parents took turns picking us up and dropping us to school since both of us can't drive under these conditions.

Every day and every night we spend every moment together because we can barely do anything without each other. We talked about what happened that night..

"Katie, where are you going to go after we graduated and we're all healed up?" He asked me curiously. We never really asked each other what we'll do.

"I'm debating on a Pediatric Nurse, a Photographer, a Journalist, or a Chef. I don't know which one to do but I love doing all those things." I looked at my cast.

"You'll be great with anything you do. I believe in you." He smiled at me and kissed my cheek.

"Thanks but, I don't know what to do yet." I looked at the sky watching the stars.

"You know, I’m happy you woke up. I was scared and I had to be ready to face the fact that you'd be gone.. I hated the thought and I hated watching you sleep all day and all night and you didn't even wake up. I was so scared I won't see you again. Every day and every night that time in the hospital, I was crying and I was begging you to wake up and come back to me...” I looked at him. He held my hand.

"I'm sorry I couldn't wake up earlier, but I woke up on time right? I'll be better soon, I promise. To make it up to you, I have another surprise, but you're going to have to wait until graduation." He kissed me again.

We spent the night talking about my journal, he was reading it to me this time, and i was so blushed up, but my heart is really happy he's alive.

Around this week SGT. Fort came in and wanted to see Ian for himself.

"Ian Knight, how you feeling?" SGT. Fort asked, I was so scared because his voice was so deep, it sounded so scary.

"I'm feeling pretty okay, just hate it when I get really itchy and I can't even scratch it." They both laughed. I watched them talk.

"Ian, I’m going to make this your decision. We'll give you one year to decide if you still want to come with us to the military, you can't go in this condition. We're happy you're alive, just email us and we'll bring a cadet to come by and take you with them. So what do you say?" SGT. Fort sounds really nice now. Ian, what's your choice?!

"Hmm.. Well...."