Chapter 9

Bree was setting the bag of food on the table. Ethan poked his head out of the bathroom and with a quick glance around came out, a towel wrapped around his hips, the ends of his hair still dripping. He recoiled internally at the monstrosity of a dress she was wearing. It was a polyester maxi-dress with multi-colored chevrons of red, yellow, pink, orange, black and white.

"What on earth is that?" Ethan said with a shudder.

"Our food , Sir?" Bree smiled and opened the bag in front of her.

Her eyes widened a bit as she pulled out the first container. The brightly colored salmon roe sushi wrapped in nori glittered like little jewels in the light of the kitchen. She pulled forth the second container; two rows of pinwheels filled with an array of colorful ingredients lined the box.

Her brow creased as she looked anxiously at the boxes on the table.

"Well it looks good." She said hesitantly.

"You've never had sushi before?" He said, distracted from the dress for a moment, by her comments.

"No, Sir, I didn't want to spend money on it, in case it turned out I didn't like it."

"Can't fault your logic," he responded with a shrug as he sat down. When he saw the sushi, his stomach took over, forgetting all about the dress as his salivary glands got to work and his stomach started to rumble.

He opened the boxes and the little sauce containers, picking up one of the roe covered morsels he dipped the bottom in the sauce and popped it in his mouth. Bree watched him closely as he chewed.

She copied him exactly picking up the small jewel covered bite, dipped it carefully in the sauce and then popped the whole thing in her mouth, biting down, she paused. The fish eggs popped between her the roof of her mouth and tongue. The cool vinegary rice, added to the salty savoryness of the fish eggs causing her stomach to heave as the gooey texture caused sensory chaos in her mouth.

She flailed around a moment, her face showing her utter disgust as her jaw locked to keep as little of the food from touching her mouth as she grabbed a napkin from the bag and spit it out.

"Oh my god, that's horrible," she groaned as she wiped her tongue.

Ethan was staring at her, dumbstruck, her reaction taking him aback completely. Her eyes slid over to him and she shook her head.

"Nope." She said simply. Ethan's eyes widened and rolled slightly as he wiped his hands on the towel covering his lap.

"Okay, drama, try the other one." He said, mildly irritated.

She looked at the rolls with a feeling of dread. "What's in them, Zorne?"

He picked one up that had lines of orange sauce swirled over the outside, dipped it in the soy sauce and popped it in his mouth, "mmm, Tuna." He said as he chewed.

She hesitatingly, reached out copying his movements once again popping the whole thing in her mouth she chewed rapidly and swallowed, shuddering with a pronounced "ugh," at the end.

"you're crazy," Ethan quipped, "Sushi is delicious." She gave him a bit of side eye as she returned to the bag and took out the tray of Gyoza and container of soup still within.

She went to the cabinet, removing two bowls and split the clear fragrant soup evenly sliding one over to him. She watched as he picked up the bowl rather than utilize one of the plastic spoons littering the table.

"I'll stick with the soup and dumplings I think" She said to herself as she popped open the container, the steam was still rising off the filled pasta gems. These she knew she liked. She tore the paper off a pair of chopsticks snapping them apart.