Chapter 41: The Quincys

Breakfast with her uncle went about as smoothly as Lydia had suspected. For one thing, after reading every single letter in the stack, she now had valuable insight into the man her uncle really was. All of his secrets were exposed, at least to her, and now she could easily assume that it would not be long until Robert Quincy was destroyed and eradicated from their lives.

Oh, the freedom of not having to answer to the man, not having to worry about what sick agenda he was attempting with them! She could marry Fredrick, Lucy would be free, the Quincy family could move on. It would feel amazing when she could finally expose her uncle as the fraud he was, but she had to be careful as there were other characters involved. She had to expose her uncle, but to the right people. Confronting him head on would not end well if she did not have allies and, at the moment, no one but her uncle knew she was in Lanfore.

"It's almost the anniversary of your father's death," Robert said. "What is it... A month?"

"A month, one week, and two days from now," Lydia replied.

"I see," Robert muttered. "Well then I suppose you will be staying here for that."

"It is likely."

"Then we should visit his grave together," Robert said, sitting back in his seat. "We can pay our respects."

You never respected my father when he was alive, how am I supposed to believe you will respect him in death?

"That would be lovely, uncle, thank you," Lydia forced out a smile. "Perhaps Lucy can return for it as well, it would be nice for all of us to be together."

Robert chuckled. "No, I don't believe that that will be possible, my dear. Lucy's quite otherwise occupied, what with planning her wedding with Fredrick." He frowned. "How is that going, is the ceremony soon?"

Lydia raised an eyebrow. "How am I to know, uncle? I am here with you."

"You were there when the letter was sent to Fredrick to fast track the wedding plans were you not?" Robert asked. "Come now, Lydia, you and Lucy are quite close. If anyone can keep me informed about the wedding plans it is you." He smirked.

You bastard.

Lydia did not even have a chance to respond when the footman entered the dining room.

"Sir, pardon me, but there is a deputy at the door. He is asking for you."

Robert frowned. "A deputy?"

"Yes, sir."

"Why, I am sure it is a mistake," he shot Lydia a wary look, but she was just as appalled as he was. "Send him away."

"But sir, he asked for you specifically, he said it is regarding your niece."

"How could it be, I am right here." Lydia said.

Robert stood. "Wait right here, Lydia, I will sort this out."

"All due respect, uncle," Lydia stood as well, "I think I will go with you."

"I must insist that you listen to me, young lady," Robert's eyes narrowed. "Speaking with deputies is too much for a woman to handle."

Lydia rolled her eyes. "Uncle, do you have something to hide?" When he paused, she smiled. "Then I do not see the issue. I am sure my female sensitivities will be fine. Shall we?"

She had to admit, knowing what she knew about her uncle now, and him not knowing all that she knew, made it a lot more fun to toy with him and get into his head. She had to be careful, of course, lest he start to suspect her.