Chapter 2: Storm Bringer

Belmoran Island, 1842

"What are we going to do?" Lucy sobbed in Ross's chest. "What are we going to do?"

Ross wished he could tell her. Usually, he had all the answers. But, then again, usually, he didn't kill on impulse. Usually, he didn't kill at all, unless he was ordered to, like his years in the navy. Killing was easier than people realized, but it was also the hardest thing to recover from. He didn't know what to do, how to comfort the woman he loved.

He didn't even hold her when she fainted. What sort of man was he? To stand there, still, unmoving... God, what had he become?

"We can't be here, Ross," Lucy was saying, still in shock and covered in blood. What if someone heard? She was right, they had to leave.

"Let's go then," he said hollowly, not recognizing his own voice. Who was this man?

"We can't leave him here like this," Lucy brought herself to look down to James. "We can't leave his body here like this."

"Yes, we can," Ross took Lucy's hand, meaning to remove her from this situation, this place, forever. Why did he feel so hollow? "Let him rot. We need to get out of here."

"Ross, we—"

"Lucy, don't argue with me!" Ross snapped, not meaning to. Why was he acting this way? He loved this woman more than his life. He didn't want to hurt her; he wanted her to be safe forever.

Before Lucy could open her mouth to fire back at him, a movement behind Ross caused him to whirl around, still holding Lucy in his arms as he did. He pushed her behind him and stood in front of her, ready to protect her in any way possible.

He was ready to kill again.

Ross did not recognize the man standing there, so he was immediately on guard.

The man held his hands up. "I am unarmed. Put the knife down."

Knife? What knife? Ross focused his vision on his hand and saw that it was gripping the hilt of the knife he had strapped to his boot. How had it gotten there so fast? How had he missed that?

"Please," the man said again, "put it down, I mean you no harm."

Ross reluctantly lowered the knife, but kept it in his hand, eyeing the man warily. "What do you want? Who are you?"

"My name is Phillip Doyle, Lucy knows me," Phillip glanced down at James's body. "I am an associate of her uncle's, and I can prove it. But first, we need to work fast. There are no witnesses yet, but we need to move this body before someone does happen by."

Ross stiffened and turned to look at Lucy, who was in such a daze that the current exchange was lost on her entirely. If she knew this man or not, she was not going to say.

"We need to make it look like he was robbed," Phillip said, a look of urgency on his face. "Where's your pistol?"

Ross frowned at him.

"Your pistol, captain!" Phillip insisted. "Give it to me, I will dispose of it. I'll take his valuables and burn them."

"Why are you helping us?" Ross asked as he handed Phillip his pistol. After that, the man set about removing James's corpse of any and all valuable items.

"Never you mind about that, just know that you can trust me," Phillip looked over his shoulder. "Where is Lucy?"

"What?" Ross turned and saw that the spot where Lucy was standing was now vacant. "No... No! Lucy? LUCY!!!"