Chapter 32: The Hours in Our Days

Lydia stood under the tree where Fredrick told her to meet him. She kept glancing up and down the path to make sure she was alone and that no one was going to happen by their secluded conversation. Fredrick was still engaged to Lydia's sister, and that was common knowledge in these parts. She didn't care for after, when that engagement was severed and people talked, because hopefully by then this ordeal as a whole would be over. But right now, if he was seen with her and people began to talk, word would reach her uncle, and disaster would ensue.

All that aside, where was he? She hoped nothing went wrong. God, how she despised her uncle for using Fredrick so! Every man had a weakness, there was no wrong in that, but a man exploiting another's weakness was a horrid thing to do. She was not sure if she could look at her uncle, the man who used to buy her pretty things from his travels, play with her, and read her stories, the same ever again. Had she known this from the start, she would have made it her mission to see that her uncle's plan didn't work. He was in this for himself, and that made her sick.

No wonder father disliked Uncle Robert! The man is a snake.

Lydia felt anger surge through her at the thought of being blood related to such a man. How could he use his own nieces to further his ends? What manner of beast was he?

"Lydia?"

She turned and felt her heart soar at seeing Fredrick standing there. He was so handsome, dressed in his finest attire. Perhaps he had just come from a meeting with important associates, or he just looked fine in whatever he wore, she did not know. But she loved him, that she did know.

"Fredrick," she stepped forward and threw her arms around him, holding him tight before realizing what an open display of affection would do. She stepped back and blushed, smiling shyly. "It's good to see you."

Fredrick did not look too pleased at having her out of his arms too soon, but he accepted it and smiled back. "And you, my dear. I've missed you."

"It's not been long since we last saw each other," Lydia reminded him. Their last encounter had been at the ball, when he had told her everything.

"For me, it has felt like a lifetime," he replied.

"Good thing Mr. Covington is not here," Lydia replied with a small laugh, trying to ease the heavy moment.

The corners of Fredrick's mouth twitched, but he did not laugh. "Have you heard from your sister?"

Lydia shook her head and sighed. "She said she would write to me when she left London. I am sure I will receive word very soon either way, but for the time being I don't know much of anything. It scares me," she looked up at Fredrick. "I do not like not knowing whether or not my sister is alright."

Fredrick looked like he wanted desperately to comfort her. "I will reach out to my contacts in London and see if they can ask after her and your mother."

"No, don't," Lydia replied. "Such things can be traced easily, especially by my uncle. And from what you've told me, your contacts and his are quite mutual; it's far too risky. But..." She frowned. "I've been thinking..."

"Of?"

Lydia looked around them again to make sure they were alone before continuing. "I have this gut feeling that when Lucy leaves London, she will go to Lanfore. I cannot recall if she told me that that was her intent or not, but either way, I feel as though I myself should be there for her, should anything happen."

Fredrick did not look too keen on that. "What is it do you think will happen, Lydia?"

"I don't know," Lydia replied honestly. "But whatever does happen, I should be there by her side. I do not know how her encounter with our mother went, and if I know Lucy, she will not reach out to her friends in London for help. To top it all, Ross is still missing, as far as we know. If she goes to Lanfore, she will go alone and without allies. She will want to take care of matters alone, but I cannot let her. I have to go there too."