Chapter 24: Beyond Silence

Elizabeth Lucas passed by the closed door of her father's study, trying to figure out a reason to go inside. She heard voices speaking in hushed tones, a man and a woman. It was Bertha Denning in there with her father, she just knew it. The woman was relentless, a harlot! Elizabeth's parents had given Bertha a home and work despite her relations to a criminal and she repaid them by attempting to tear the family apart. Elizabeth could not see that happen, her father was a good and honorable man, whose only sin was being corrupted by a witch.

She passed by the door once more and stopped, facing it like she would an enemy. She thought about barging in there, but her husband had stressed discretion. Perhaps that was because he suspected that her father did not like him, and that was possibly the case, but her father loved her and would surely not be cross with her for simply wanting to spend time with him.

Would he?

I just need to go inside and find something—anything—that will help me prove to him that Bertha Denning is a villain. If he cannot see it in her then I must show him.

But what proof would there be in there that that woman had not already seen for herself? Elizabeth knew it was a stretch but it was a start, and Sebastian had told her that any start was a good one, one way or the other. She trusted her husband's words, but still she hoped they didn't fail her now.

"Just knock, Lizzy," she whispered to herself. "He will let you in, he is your father. He loves you. That Bertha woman will leave the moment you walk in, I am sure of it. She knows who is more important."

After repeating that word for word a few more times, Elizabeth finally mustered the courage to knock on her father's door. She stood back, hands folded daintily in front of her, and her face sporting the blissful smile that she knew would convince him that her intentions were entirely innocent. Just a daughter, a loving daughter, coming to visit her father whom she loved so much.

"Father?" She knocked on the door again. "Father, it's Elizabeth. Are you in there?"

A pause, then she heard movement and hushed whispers. She wondered if her father knew how thin the walls were in their old home, but it was likely he did not, otherwise he would have lowered his voice even more while trying to force his mistress out of the study.

"... Cannot see you like this, Bertha..."

"Do not rush me!"

"Hurry, woman, get out!"

"I'm trying!"

Elizabeth stood there, trying not to seethe at the conversation they were trying to hide from her. They spoke like a married couple, didn't they? Her father had no respect for her mother, for their union! What was so special about this penniless trollop that he was willing to throw away years and years of marriage? He preached law and order, honor and justice! Why was he going against it now?

I am going to ruin that woman. I am going to destroy her. I can do this. I can protect my family.

The door opened and Bertha came rushing out, dressed in her full maid's garb, which was obviously staged so that she would not suspect anything. The woman did not make eye contact with Elizabeth, she did not even curtsey. That was not going to do. Bertha was not going to disrespect her in her father's home.

"Bertha, come back here."

The woman paused, frozen still. She did not move for quite some time, and that angered Elizabeth a great deal.

"Right now, Bertha."

The woman still did not move. Elizabeth glanced into her father's study and saw the man paying no attention at all, as he was busy shuffling the papers about on his desk.