Chapter 46: Unchained

Lucy paced her cell for what seemed to be the thousandth time. Days passed in either a slow crawl or a blur. Her clothes were tattered and her hands and arms were covered in dirt. She had not had a proper bath since arriving and she knew that that was something she would never get again, especially if the gallows awaited her at the end.

Still, hearing Ross's voice on the other side of the wall more than made up for the feeling of dread overcoming her. To know that he was right there healed the parts of her that were struggling to keep from breaking.

"You know, I don't think I want to get married in Lanfore," Lucy quipped, trying to keep her tone light hearted. "Something about being imprisoned here has given the place quite a morose feel."

Ross chuckled from the other side of the wall. "On that, we might be in agreement, my love. I understand this was once your home but..."

"It's marred with too many dark memories," she finished for him. "Trust me, I know."

A sudden crash at the end of the cell block caused Lucy to jump with a small shriek. A few loud voices followed the crash along with multiple running footsteps.

"What is that?" Lucy jumped to her feet. "Ross?"

"An escape, perhaps," Ross said, sounding like he was moving to stand as well. "I'm only shocked it took this long for someone to make an attempt."

Lucy gulped and felt her heart rate pick up when she realized that the footsteps were running towards them. She backed farther into her cell, even though she knew ironically enough that she was safest here than anywhere else... At least for now. "Ross, they're coming this way."

"It'll be alright, my love, just stay away from the doors, as far back as you can."

Lucy nodded to herself, continuing to back up as the footsteps got louder and louder. She heard Ross doing the same and, without realizing she was doing it, she placed a hand on the wall facing his cell, pretending for a moment that it was his strong, sure form that she was touching. God, would she ever be able to do it again?

The footsteps slowed and Lucy could finally make out a few details of the people coming near them. The voice were of a higher pitch that, in her delusions, Lucy could almost assume it was women. But as far as she knew there were no women imprisoned in their cell block. In fact, her being jailed next to Ross was highly against the protocol her father had set, with having men and women jailed separately.

"Lucy?"

Frowning, Lucy turned the sound of the very female voice calling her name. It almost sounded like...

"... L-Lydia?" She croaked.

"Lucy, are you in here?"

"Ross?" Another female voice sounded.

"Charlotte?" Lucy could hear the confusion in Ross's voice. "Charlotte!"

"Ross!"

Lucy felt as though she was in some sort of delusion, and with the lack of water and proper food for the last few days, that was very likely. Lydia's face appeared like a vision from an ethereal realm, with her sky blue eyes, and her golden hair falling about her doll-like face.

"Lydia..." Lucy almost fell forward in her attempt to get to her cell doors to her sister. "Oh, Lydia!"

"Lucy!" Lydia reached through the bars and took her sister's hand. "My god, you look a fright, what have they been doing to you in here?"

"Nothing, I am fine." Lucy lied, forcing a smile out. "We've just been waiting here for any word on what the magistrate has planned, but so far nothing."