Chapter 14: The Perfect Coward

Weighing options, running through ideas, and trying to figure out the best course of action.

Sebastian thought he had been through with all that the moment he married Elizabeth Donaldson. For his own safety against her lunatic father, he had decided not to take sides anymore and keep out of the bloodbath. But he knew too much, more than the Magistrate. After speaking with Mrs. Boatwright a year ago, he had found out that it was very likely that the former Magistrate, John Quincy, had had his own affair, from which a child was produced. If Magistrate Donaldson knew that, it would be the end of the Quincy family, if it wasn't already.

The aftermath of the Magistrate's announcement was not as catastrophic as Sebastian thought it would be, which was shocking. The Magistrate had all but accused Lucy Quincy of murder while announcing the secret of her paternity to the entire town, why wasn't there more backlash? More of a significant reaction?

Why did he care?

Sebastian knew it was a mistake entering into this drama, thinking he could get something out of being a decent friend. He had always wanted to prove himself useful in some way to James Boatwright, who had been leagues ahead of him in every conceivable way. He had thought by helping him in this, he would attain his own status in the eyes of his friend, his own place. And, of course, earn himself a wife, which he did. But now James was dead and the circumstance was dubious at best, and Sebastian had no one to prove himself to, no one who would take his hard work into account.

Well, unless one counted Robert Quincy, a man with a dubious agenda himself. To this day Sebastian was not sure what the man's end game was. To rise his nieces in station via respectable marriages and, thus, his own? Or was his concern for Lucy's situation genuine? The man was a puzzle, and Sebastian was not sure if he wanted to solve him. But was that relevant in his decision? James had died in the worst way possible, as a criminal, not a respectable man. Could Sebastian turn on his friend?

Cursing, Sebastian stood and ran a hand over his face. He didn't have a choice, did he? Robert Quincy was a relentless man, and Sebastian wanted to do away with this mess for good. Perhaps this was the only way to achieve that.

But, then again, he was married into the family he despised. He would never escape it, would he?

Unless...

Elizabeth loved her father, that much was clear. But Sebastian could fix that, make her see things differently. If he could turn his wife against her father, that would make it easier for Robert and Phillip to finish their master plan, and Sebastian could take his wife out of Lanfore. He could finally be away from all of this, and keep his marriage.

With that, it was just a matter of turning his wife against her father. That would not be easy, but Elizabeth wasn't the brightest of beautiful women. And Sebastian was nothing if not spinning a seemingly desperate situation to his favor. He thought had lost that talent; hopefully that was not the case.

Now, more than ever, he needed to refine being the perfect coward if we wanted to get out of this alive.

XXX

Belmoran Island

Leila ran the brush through her hair and tried to hold back her tears. For what seemed like the thousandth time, she was told she was not with child, and now more than ever she felt like the biggest failure. It was not enough that she was not doing her duty, but the lack of sympathy being shown to her was overwhelming. It was her duty to bear the heir to the Worthington Fortune. Well, hers and Eliza's. If Eliza had a son with John—if they were even married—then that child would take the fortune. That didn't bother Leila, seeing as she would have no children, but that would that bother Samuel? Did she care?