Chapter 33: Show Me Your Hero

Fredrick,

I am writing to you with an update of my situation here, in Lanfore. I have assured Robert Quincy that there is no need for him to read this letter before I send it to you, which offers me an advantage to tell you everything he wants to keep a secret. The only other man who will be laying eyes on this letter is Lucy's former fiancé, Captain Ross Beauchamp, Lord of Shorewind Hall. I assure you

First and foremost, he plans on pinning the death of James Boatwright on the magistrate. The act itself has little to do with us, only that if I help him in making that happen, he will pardon your debts. That is what he has told me but, in my heart, I feel that his demands will not end there. I do not know how far he is going to take it, but I do know that he is determined to ensure that you and Lucy marry. He wants his own agendas served, and he will milk what you owe him until we are both bone dry and he is on the high seat.

And even then he won't stop.

He asked me to write you this letter to urge you to move quickly to marry Lucy. He wants the preparations to start immediately. However, I am writing you think letter to tell you not to do it and, if you can, urge Lucy to come to Lanfore at once. The only way this ends is for her to come here and end it. I hate to ask it; I know what she has been through. I was there that night; I saw the aftermath of that nightmare.

I have a plan of my own to see Robert's hold on you come apart. If it means reaching for my connections miles away from here, I will do it. Remember, I have many friends who too owe me debts that I have yet to call in. Seeing as this is a dire situation, I will do just that and, if it does not work, I will bear the burden of such an outcome, should it come to that. I tire of his tyranny; he will see his downfall before this is all over.

However, Lucy is the one Lanfore needs if the magistrate is to be taken care of properly. Everyone should know what James tried to do to her. They weep for him here like he was a hero; it's sickening. She needs to come here, please urge her to do so.

Know this, brother, whatever debts you owe to Robert Quincy will be taken care of. From this moment on, we will no longer follow his plans.

Do not marry Lucy. Trust me on this.

Yours,

Phillip

XXX

Lanfore, Hertfordshire

"It will be some time until I receive word from my barrister," Robert was saying, shifting uncomfortably under Ross's watchful gaze. Ever since Ross had revealed to Robert who he really was, the tension between them only rose. "Perhaps your vast connections as the Lord of Shorewind Hall can suffice in the meantime?"

"None that I trust to keep my confidence," Ross replied. "I'd rather keep them out of this."

Phillip snorted. "But then again, you did not know that Ross was a man of means, did you?"

Ross grinned. "If he had asked, I would have told him."

"Can we please stay on subject?"

"No," Phillip replied. "I just think it's rather hilarious how you went through all that trouble to save your niece's reputation by betrothing her to my brother, only to realize that she was engaged to a man twice his wealth already!"

"She was engaged to a murderer!" Robert thundered. "Even if I had known who Ross really was I wouldn't have condoned the engagement for a minute! No offense," he turned to Ross. "I am sure besides the obvious homicide, you are an amiable enough gentleman."