Chapter 36: Ace of Hearts

Ross manage to snag a seat next to Charlotte at the Lucas's table, which would have been a boon to his cause to find out more about Lucy if Robert Quincy was not sitting next to her as well. With him within earshot there was no way Charlotte could speak of her without him hearing. It did help that Phillip was sitting on his other side, however, if anything it provided a much needed buffer.

"So, Ms. Morgan, where are you visiting us from?" Robert asked.

"Clayton Island, just off the coast of Ireland," Charlotte replied. "Have you heard of it?"

Robert tilted his head. "The name oddly sounds familiar, but I cannot say that I have gone myself."

"A shame," she shrugged. "It's lovely this time of year."

"Is it, now?" Robert raised his eyebrow at Ross. "Forgive me, where did you say you were before coming to Lanfore, Ross?"

"I didn't," Ross replied through gritted teeth. Or had he? He could not even remember now.

"Ross is a creature of mystery." Phillip chortled.

Charlotte jumped in. "How do you and Ross know each other, Mr. Quincy?"

Ross shifted in his seat, worried that Robert was going to overwhelm her, but Charlotte turned to him as well and winked, signaling that she could handle it. Ross should have known better than to worry after the woman's resolve, especially after everything she had gone through when they were together.

"Ross and I have a... Mutual responsibility that brought us together," Robert replied, clearly choosing his words as carefully as Charlotte was asking her questions.

"What responsibility is that?" When Robert grunted, she sighed dramatically and then looked to Phillip. "I suppose you and Ross have a mutual responsibility as well, Mr. Doyle?"

Phillip nodded and winked. "I wish I had a more fantastic story to tell, ma'am."

Ross wondered about Charlotte's agenda. Surely by now she must have known what was going on. Perhaps she was trying to read Robert Quincy because of something Lucy told her.

Lucy. Where was she?

Before Robert could reply a young lady to his other side called his attention, allowing Ross a few moments to speak to Charlotte without being disturbed.

"Are you going to tell me anything?" He asked.

Charlotte shook her head. "Too many ears. She has come this far, Ross, I do not want her efforts to mean nothing."

"Charlotte, I am desperate," he said, meaning it. "I cannot bear being away from her any longer. If you know anything—"

"Not. Now." She gritted out.

Ordinarily, that tone would have been enough to stop him. Ross was not the sort to push his agenda on anyone unless he had to, and now he had to. He needed to see Lucy again, to know that she was safe, and to hold her and never let her go again. Robert's plan to betroth her to another man was not going to stop Ross from falling to his knees and giving her a proper proposal.

"Simply nod or shake your head to my questions, then," he whispered, pretending to smile as if he was having a jovial conversation with her. "Can you do that?"

Charlotte sighed and nodded. "Be vague."

"Act like I'm telling you a funny story."

"None of your stories are funny."