Chapter 4: Revelations

Charlestown, South Carolina

Eliza was in the drawing room opening letters when John came home later that day. When he joined her, she had a troubled look on her face and was absently rubbing her swollen belly, a thing she did when she was lost in thought, or when she wanted to calm herself down.

When John entered the drawing room, she looked up and smiled. "Hello, my love."

"Darling," John leaned down to kiss her cheek. "How are you?" He placed a hand on her belly.

"We are both fine," she made to stand. "Are you hungry?"

"No, don't stress yourself," John smiled and sat down next to her. "Where is mother?"

"She's in the kitchen, she wanted to continue to reorganize for when the baby comes."

That sounded like his mother. "Did your brother write you again?"

Eliza's smile disappeared as if it had never been there and she looked down with a troubled frown. "It's nothing important."

"Tell me, Eliza," John urged her gently.

"He just wants me to come back home. One of many notes he has sent me of late," Eliza placed both her hands on her belly. "I would be tempted to answer his notes if I didn't suspect him of having an ulterior motive. He doesn't even know about the baby, and it hurts me not to tell him, but I don't trust him."

John took his wife's hand in his. "When you are ready to travel, we can go to Belmoran together with our child and see if that changes his perspective."

"I don't want him anywhere near our child," Eliza replied, shaking her head firmly. "Not until I am certain his intentions are as he says."

"Which is?"

"See for yourself," Eliza handed him the note.

John took it from her and cast her a glance before looking down to read it.

Eliza,

You know why I am writing you. It has been a year, and I have written you enough notes to make it clear that I want you to be home. If you return now, then I will forgive you. People are talking, Eliza, and though Leila and I both are working hard to stop the rumors, we can only fan the flames for so long. Your friends miss you, and I miss you.

I understand that you think you are in love with this John Brandon Quincy, but he is not a rich man, nor a man that can provide for you in the long run. You need someone that will take care of you, and I can and will find you such a man, just come home.

I will give you two months to reply to this note. If you have not, I will assume that you are continuing to ignore my pleas, during which time I will be compelled to travel to Charlestown myself and bring you home personally.

This charade has gone on long enough. One way or the other, you will come home.

Yours,

Samuel

John looked up at his wife, who had the ultimate look of distaste on her face. It bothered him that Samuel was pushing her so hard, he wondered if he would continue to do so if he knew that his sister was married and pregnant.

"Do you think he will come here?" John asked her.

Eliza shrugged. "Who knows? He is mad enough, but I doubt he would willingly leave his little doll of a wife alone in Belmoran for too long."