Chapter 9: Nemesis

Chapter 9: Nemesis

Belmoran Island, 1842

"What's going on?"

Lucy stood there for a minute, watching Samuel Worthington closely. Did he suspect anything?

"Lucy?"

"I was... Out for a walk," she said, trying to keep her voice steady. "I received word a few days ago that my mother has gotten worse, and I am here to get my things. I must return home."

Samuel frowned. "This late in the hour? Surely there are no ships departing."

Lucy breathed slowly, remembering what was discussed. "There is a man named Phillip Doyle who has secured passage for me. He is a good friend of mine."

"Yet another person you are acquainted with on this island?" Samuel asked, looking doubtful.

"Yes," Lucy gulped. "It's quite... Miraculous."

"And you thought to leave without saying goodbye?" Samuel pressed. "Hardly the decorum of a lady, don't you think?"

He was right. "Of course. Sam, I thank you for all you have done for me since I have come here," Lucy slowly strode forward. "You have been most kind and hospitable, and I will never forget your kindness. But now I must go."

Samuel didn't budge. "You are here to gather your things, I suspect. Does Eliza know you're leaving?"

"She will when I write her," Lucy replied. "Please?"

"Who is this friend?"

"Sam, please," Lucy whispered. "I would have left earlier, only the engagement kept me here longer. But Ross and I have discussed it at length, and he and I both agree that it is best that I go. My mother doesn't have much time, please."

That seemed to strike a chord with him, and he sighed and nodded. "Very well," he stood to one side.

"Thank you," Lucy made to rush forward, but before she could pass by Samuel, he held out an arm in front of her, causing her to stop.

"I have never voiced my suspicions of you, Lucy Quincy," Samuel whispered. "And I never will. Since you set foot in my home, all eyes have been drawn here, which I cannot complain about. It is what I wanted. But now I am seeing the consequences."

"As am I," Lucy whispered. "The consequences of running from my problems and bringing them to your threshold are hard to ignore."

"Exactly," Samuel whispered. "And if my sister leaves Belmoran with that cousin of yours, then I will have no choice but to take matters into my own hands."

Lucy looked up at him and held her glare for as long as she could. "Blame me for her actions if you must, Samuel. But if you impede on their happiness, you will have me to answer to."

With that, she brushed past him and hurried up the stairs, feeling her heart race so fast that she feared she would burst. Such a feeling was one she thought she had left behind a long time ago, but now it was rushing back rather quickly, and she was finding it increasingly difficult to breathe.

I can do this, she thought. I can weather this storm. And if I can't, I have to find a way.

XXX

Grenmar, Derbyshire, 1843

Lucy breathed in the aroma of her tea without taking a sip. The book she had been reading was open on her lap, yet she had not glanced over a single word. Reading often kept her mind from wandering to darker things, but at the moment such thoughts were so profound, she couldn't help but feel them come to life.