Chapter 28: Hide Your Fires

***TRIGGER WARNING: There is a brief mention of a possible hanging in the second part of this chapter. This is a warning to those who are sensitive to this manner of content.***

Samuel wandered aimlessly about John and Eliza's home, trying to analyze and oversee everything he saw. He wanted to find that one thing that would discredit John as a husband but, so far, he had found nothing. The man was no Baron or Marquis, but he had provided his sister with a comfortable life. The house was strategically placed close to the market center, with a generous view of the harbor. He could see why Eliza was happy and satisfied with this life, but it was not the life for a Worthington.

"Are you looking for something?"

Samuel stiffened and turned to see an older Indian woman standing there, watching him calmly. He could tell immediately that she had been attractive in youth, and age had done nothing to temper that. But there was an air about her that was heavy with sorrow, a feeling he knew well.

"No," he replied. "I was just..." What was he doing?

"Looking around, then?" She finished for him, then smiled. "Not much to see, we keep a humble home. I am sure you are used to large, overwhelming homes."

"I..." He sighed and bowed his head. "Indeed, I am. Not to take away fom your home, ma'am."

"Please," she smiled wider, "call me Malia. We should be on good terms, Samuel. I am your mother in law after all."

He frowned. "Y-you are John's mother?"

"In the flesh."

"Oh... I..." He cleared his throat. "I am so sorry, I just didn't know..."

"He looks more like his father," she offered. "But he got my temper, which is minimal. I am grateful for that, his father was a good and loving man but I could not raise a son with his temper," she turned and gestured for him to follow. "Come, I'll make us something to eat. Eliza should be awake from her rest soon."

Dazed, Samuel followed her. He wasn't sure what to think or how to feel, but his feet moved instinctively behind her, as though he knew that this was supposed to happen and to avoid being alone with this woman would be a mistake.

"You must have a lot of questions," she said when they entered the kitchen. She kindly dismissed the maid and gestured to the table. "Please, sit. Make yourself comfortable."

Samuel did, but mainly because he was not sure if his legs would be able to hold anymore.

"You can ask me anything you want," she continued when he didn't speak. "I am sure John is fine with me talking to you about our storied past."

"I know bits and pieces," Samuel said. "Namely that his father, your husband, passed away."

Malia nodded, stirring the pot of soup that the maid had just been working on. "That he did, when John was just a boy. But we were not married."

Samuel started. "What?"

"My son was born out of wedlock," Malia said without a hint of shame in her voice.

"But..." Samuel licked his lips. "John said Lucy was his cousin..."

"Pardon?"

Realizing he had been speaking to himself, Samuel spoke up. "I was speaking of Lucy Quincy, a young lady who lived with Eliza and I in Belmoran last here. John said that she was his cousin."

"Did he?"

"Yes, he did. They both said they were distant cousins. How can that be possible if he is your son?"