Stand By Me, Kaori

As Kousei and Kaori began to eat at Murphy Fries, which was a standard roadside restaurant with a Canadian motif to it, Kaori ordered poutine, which was the Canadian dish she had mentioned. Kousei simply had a regular hot dog. 

Kousei, whose mind was now back to normal after quite a few days of blacking out, started talking as the two were served their food. He then had a question for Kaori. "So, what is this Canadian dish you were telling me about?" Kaori smiled at him. "This is it. It's poutine." She told him.

A bowl of poutine stood before Kaori. Kousei looked disgusted at first, seeing that mess of food. "What is that, exactly, Kaori?" Kaori explained as such "Well, it's French fries that are covered in gravy and cheese curds. Don't let the look put you off, it's actually quite tasty." Kousei, who at first had reservations about poutine, was reassured. 

Kaori smiled and said, "Go ahead, have a taste." Kousei ate a few of the cheese curd and gravy covered fries and smiled. "You know.... This is actually good. I never knew that fries could be this tasty."

At the same time, as he was eating his hot dog, covered in onions, mustard, ketchup and relish with some potato chips, Kousei looked bemused at Kaori's bright green Saskatchewan Roughriders T-shirt. "Kaori.... Who are the Saskatchewan Roughriders again?" 

Kaori explained herself. "They're a team in the Canadian Football League. They're a pretty popular team in the league." Kousei then asked, "And how did you get your hands on the team's gear, when we're in Japan, and they're all the way in Canada?"

Kaori smiled at Kousei. "I'm glad you asked, Kousei. One of my uncles, Seiya, who lives in Canada, and he just so happens to like the team, and Canadian football. So, from time to time, he likes to give me Saskatchewan Roughrider gear in the mail."

Kousei let out a wry smile. "Hmm.... I should find out more about Canadian football sometime." However, Kousei's mind had become more curious about things, and he wanted to know more about this unique sport immediately.

"My next question, Kaori: What the heck is Canadian football?" Kaori smiled again. "I'm glad you asked that too. It's like American football, but the rules are slightly different. For instance, the field's larger, and unlike American football, where you get four downs to get 10 yards, you only get three there. It's a pretty exciting game; my cousin's been opening up my mind about it. He watches the games, and he says he likes it. I should watch a few games online, too, someday."

Kousei let out a smile. "Wonderful, Kaori. You're really broadening my horizons here." The two contently ate their meals, with Kousei looking as happy as could be for the moment. Kaori also contently ate the poutine. There was just something about it that was so tasty.... Maybe it was the way that the gravy and cheese curds meshed with the fries?

As the sun set that evening, Kousei and Kaori walked around Nerima. All of that time was spent with Kousei muttering to himself I gotta stay focused- I can't let that episode get to me. I've got to remember my worth on this piano.... This is who I am, for better or for worse. All these years of training, for me, have led up to where I am now. It's not like I'm going to die, right? I'm just 14 years old, really. I've got, like, my whole life ahead of me! I gotta focus on the future and nothing more. I can't be too worried about my health right now! Kaori asked him, "You okay, Kousei? You look a little spaced out lately." 

To Kousei, the piano and him were one and the same. Not with Kaori, whose playing style was more unfettered. But to Kousei, he was still, despite having befriended Kaori, was still sort of stuck in his ways. Kaori had a question for Kousei as they approached the Doryo Bridge. "Kousei..... what are your hopes and dreams for the future?" Kousei, with a quizzical look told her "Hmm. That is a tough question for someone like me to round out. I guess, be a famous pianist? I got nothing more. I had, like so many hopes and dreams early in my life, but...." Kaori stopped him temporarily. "But.... What?" Kousei then stopped and said, "I donno. I don't want to talk about it right now."

Kaori continued with, "What's wrong? What don't you want to talk about?" Kousei finally said, "Well, all of my life, ya know, sometimes it seems like I'm nervous, maybe even blinded by performing out there in front of hundreds. What if I mess up? I'll be frank, Kaori: I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I feel like if I make one mistake, no matter how minor or major, *SNAPS FINGERS* there goes my whole life and career!" Kaori said, "You know.... Sometimes, I feel the same way." Kousei then said, "But, I will say this: Just when I think and say to myself and others 'I GIVE UP!" I just keep on going, put my feet back on the ground, and try it all over again. And that's how you tell the biggest and nicest lie of all."

Kaori then nodded and smiled at him. "You know that song, I Made It Through the Rain by Barry Manilow? We dreamers have our ways/Of facing rainy days/And somehow we survive?"

Kousei was a bit unaware about the song. "Not really.... But that song has a great point there. You know what? What have I got to lose at this point? I'm 14, I have my whole life ahead of me, ya know, I should be more confident! Well.... Kaori, brace yourself. I'm going to jump right in the river. Here I go!" With that, Kousei, with an air of confidence that he was lacking earlier, jumped over the bridge, and landed without injuring himself. He let out a smile, and he was without with his glasses now. 

Kousei said with a booming voice, "JUMP RIGHT IN!" With that, Kaori did just that, and yelled "BOMBS AWAY!" Her bright green shirt became wet, and the two gazed at each other and smiled. "You know what.... Kaori? In the end, I'm going to be alright. I want to inspire people in many ways, and change the world, somehow. Please.... Stand by me, why don't you, Kaori?" 

Kaori nodded and gave a thumbs up to him. "You can bet the house on that, Kousei." Kousei smiled with his eyes closed, and said to her, "Thank you, Kaori...... I suddenly.... feel so confident about myself and my future now..... it means a lot."

The two got out of the river, and eventually, both of them were near their respective homes. Kaori gave Kousei a hug. "Good night, Kousei. I'm glad you're doing better." Kousei smiled, and said, "Good night, Kaori. See ya soon." 

He walked home, looking all happy again, as if his whole world was starting to brighten up again after that brief scare. Suddenly, a newfound sense of confidence and optimism began to enter his mind. "Life is looking up...." he said optimistically, as he headed to bed. 

As Kaori headed to sleep, her optimism in Kousei was well-founded. He sure has his whole life ahead of him..... I have confidence in that guy. He's got a bright future. she thought to herself, as she headed to sleep, after the end of a pretty fun day.