Torn Up

Meanwhile, Kaori, who was now back at her residence after meeting up with her parents at their business, was out of her school uniform, and had practiced the violin on her own for some time. As she put away her violin back in its case, she smiled happily over how good she was playing. "Each day is another challenge for me.... And I feel like my violin playing is making me feel free." 

She was out of her school uniform by now, and into another green Saskatchewan Roughriders T-shirt (with the team's retro logo) and a pair of black biker shorts.

She then looked at her closet, realizing she hadn't cleaned it in a while. She noticed a medium-sized plastic box was sitting there. She looked at the box and opened it up. Hmm, a plastic box! What surprises await me inside it? she thought. What was inside? Why, there was a Nintendo AV Famicom inside, with the appropriate AV cables, two controllers, and AC adapter. Also in it were 20 games.

"A Famicom? I've heard of this gaming system. It's from long ago. It's an 8-bit video game system. Hmm..... I need to focus on my violin though." She became more pensive about whether she should play the gaming system or not. A moment later, she made up her mind. "Eh, playing it for just a little bit wouldn't hurt."

She then headed for a TV in her house and hooked up the AV Famicom to the TV. She looked at each game inside the box, trying to figure what to play first, and then decided "OK, Super Mario Bros. it is." She then put the game cartridge into the Famicom and turned it on. As she played, she actually seemed to be enjoying the game. She played it for about 20 minutes before losing her last life on World 5-1.

"Hmm.... That was quite fun. Who knew that this retro gaming system could provide so much fun to me?" she smiled. As she turned off the Famicom, that feeling of happiness would soon give way to great sadness.

As she turned off the Famicom, she saw a news report came on with these words: Piano Prodigy Kousei Arima Severely Injured. The reporter said "Young teenage piano prodigy Kousei Arima was severely injured heading back home today at about 5:05 PM today. An oncoming car reportedly crushed his left foot and his head was impacted on a lamppost nearby. He is being kept at Totsuhara Hospital where he is in critical condition at this moment...." Then came a short interview with the driver. He said in a panicked voice, "I feel bad about what happened here! Things were kind of a blur to me! The light turned green and the next thing I knew, I ran the poor guy over! He was running fast, and I didn't see him coming!"

Kaori started to cry. Tears streamed down her face. "Oh, my god..... Kousei! Why? Why did this have to happen?! The poor guy! He was for once, looking up about life, and then this happens to him! Dammit, he didn't deserve this!"

As Tsubaki saw this on the TV news, her reaction was similar. "Damn..... oh, dear god..... Kousei.... The poor guy. That is just tragic....." She shed some tears watching the whole thing.

Watari also got word when Kaori told him via his phone "Kousei..... his left foot. Mangled. I'm not sure whether he'll be the same." Watari, being a bit braver, shed a few tears, but other than that, kept a largely stoic face. "Kousei.... This is tragic. The poor guy.... This was just not what he deserved."

That night, Kaori, still in her retro Saskatchewan Roughriders T-shirt and biker shorts, was understandably upset over this turn of events. As she sat on her bed, all she could think of was Kousei. All she could think about was what he had gone through that evening. Please do not take away Kousei away from me...... she thought to herself. Then she said, sobbing, "Kousei.... You were looking happy, and now this happens to you.... Life is unfair. I'm so torn up." 

She then cried herself to sleep. As she slept, she had a very sweet dream.

-----

~DREAM SEQUENCE~

MUSICAL NOTE: "Adieu My Love" by Chikako Ishikawa (song is up on the top of page)

人を愛したら幸せになれる きっといつ

Hito wo aishitara shiawase ni nareru kitto itsuka

When I fall in love, I will be happy, the day will come someday

In the dream, Kaori was sitting on her knees, wearing the same T-shirt and biker shorts she wore to sleep. She looked depressed, when a blue-tuxedo clad Kousei walked up to him, with a beaming smile on his face. Kaori got up and stopped being depressed. Her T-shirt and shorts became a nice, beautiful white dress.

心のキャンバスあなたの姿
映し出すその髪も 微笑みも

Kokoro no KYANBASU anata no sugata utsushidasu
Sono kami mo hohoemi mo

In the canvas of my heart, is your figure shining forth
Your hair and your smile

As Kaori's clothes changed, the scene shifted to a ballroom. They could be seen dancing happily, like they were two star-crossed lovers. It was a lovely scene, just the two of them in a ballroom. 

都会のジャングル哀しみを抱いて夜のしじま

眠れない日には遠く潮騒風にのり耳もとに響く・・・・・

Tokai no JANGURU kanashimi wo daite yoru no shijima

Nemurenai hi ni wa tooku shiosai kaze ni nori mimi moto ni hibiku.....

In this urban jungle, sadness embraces all in the silence of the night 
On days when I cannot sleep, I send my heart far away, riding on the wind, to whisper into your ear..... 

Their dancing really made them feel like they were really one. Such a sweet dream, and Kaori even knew she was feeling a bit of love about all this. 

I love you・・・・・昔のアダムとイブが 
I love you・・・・・想いを伝えた言葉

I love you
・・・・・mukashi no ADAMUtoIBU ga 
I love you・・・・・omoi wo tsutaeta kotoba

I love you......... Like Adam and Eve from time long ago 
I love you......... If only I can tell you how I feel 

Kousei and Kaori continued their ballroom dance. The two suddenly felt a mutual fondness for each other as they continued dancing. 

今だけは目を閉じてこの胸にそっと・・・・・
Imadake wa mewotojite kono mune ni sotto・・・・・
Just for now, close your eyes, and lean on my chest softly 

The two stopped dancing, and then went to a courtyard nearby in this fantasy world. Kousei smiled "Aah, dancing. What a wonderful thing, huh?" Kaori smiled at him. "You are wonderful, Kousei." 

両手いっぱいの幸せを摘んで あの窓辺に 
心を消されて再びめぐり逢えたら わかるだろう・・・・・

Ryoute-ippai no shiawase wo tsunde ano madobe ni 
Kokoro wo kesa rete futatabi meguriaetara wakarudarou.....

I want to be by your side, gathering happiness on that windowsill 
In the café of my heart, If I see you again, we'll know it's true.....

The two then embraced each other in a nice hug. "I adore you, Kaori." Kaori said to Kousei. "I adore you too, Kousei." Just then, Kaori woke up, ending the dream.

~END DREAM SEQUENCE~

-----

As she woke up, she realized that her shirt had been stained with her tears. It was quite damp. "My, that was a sweet dream.... that felt all too real." She turned on her phone. It was Tsubaki. She gave her an update on Kousei. "Kousei Arima, thanks to some immediate medical attention, will survive; it was determined the impact on his head was not as bad as initially feared; however, his left foot is another story." Kaori then texted her "Thank goodness he's doing okay..... what about his left foot?" Tsubaki then responded with "Sadly, it was severely damaged. It was not able to be saved, and as a result, the doctors had to amputate his left foot." 

Kaori then called Tsubaki. "Hi, Tsubaki." Tsubaki said "Yeah, they're reporting on the news now that Kousei is doing a bit better, if you can call having your left foot badly damaged and hitting your head on a lamppost any improvement."Kaori replied: "I see. When can we see him?" Tsubaki said "I think they said in a couple of days. They're trying to still work on him, and like I said, his left foot was unsalvageable. It was considerably damaged by the weight of the wheel of the car he got run over." "Okay." 

Kaori ended the conversation. She sighed, but despite what Kousei went through, he would be okay, although his left foot would have to be amputated. She wondered to herself what would become of Kousei after this ordeal... thinking to herself Why? Why did this have to happen to him....? I hope that he, somehow can find his way back.....

She got into her school uniform, and headed to Sumiya Junior High. Kaori walked to the school, with an umbrella in hand, feeling very broken about what had happened to Kousei. The school would be awfully quiet on this rainy day....